Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Alpine Touring Boots

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Alpine Touring Boots

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Mon May 28, 2007 1:58 pm

So I am getting myself an AT setup for graduation 8) and I have been looking at AT boots, and I am getting pretty overwhelmed. I was wondering what AT boots people use and would be the best in terms of comfort when touring and overall stability when skiing lines. Thanks

Postby Cruiser » Mon May 28, 2007 3:10 pm

I have some Garmont G-Rides that I would definately recommend. The Thermo-moldable liners are great. They tour really well and are fairly stable downhill since they are a 4 buckle model. It doesn't compare to realy stiff downhill boots though in terms of stability and control at speed, but that's a compromise I was willing to make. I had a set of 3 buckle Garmont GSM's that were just not stiff enough for me so I sold 'em and picked up the G-Rides. I've never skied them, but I hear that the Scarpa Tornado's are nice boots too.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Mon May 28, 2007 4:08 pm

do those wear pretty true to shoe size? and where would I get them molded if I buy them online?

Postby thebeave7 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:42 pm

I've been riding the Scarpa Matrix for 3 seasons now. They are pretty stiff, but I can still climb and walk in them. Scrambling is a bit tricky, since there isn't much flex. They ski really nice, and I actually use them during on-piste powder days and they ski wonderfully. I've heard the Garmonts(as mentioned above) are softer and more comfortable than the Scarpas. The sizing of the Scarpas is consistent with other Scarpas I've tried on, but you really need to try boots on. Sizing and fit are so crucial with AT boots you need to try on each pair, its a bunch o money.

For molding AT boots pretty much any ski shop should have an oven and can mold them for you. Of course its best to take it to a shop that routinely molds AT boots. Happy hunting, and welcome to the wonderful world of alpine touring.
Eric

Postby skier25 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:52 pm

I use the Garmont Endorphin. I like them because they perform, IMO, more like ski boots than AT boots. I like total control when I'm going fast, or am on a steep, icy slope. When compared to other AT boots, they are stiff on the way up; however they are stiff on the way down...and that's what I like.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 28, 2007 4:56 pm

I wear the Garmont Adrenalin G-Fit. 4 buckles and fairly stiff. BUT, I've modified mine to be way more heavy duty like a high-end alpine boot.

Here's what I've done to them:
1) Replaced the stock liner with liners from 2006 Nordica Beast 12 boots
2) Replaced the power strap with one that's twice as wide and stronger (from 2005 Nordica Beast 10.2w boots)
3) Replaced the rear spoiler with a much larger performance spoiler

AT boots just aren't as beefy as a strong alpine boot. So, if your picky about performance, shop around and consider some after-market modifications.
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Tue May 29, 2007 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Cruiser » Mon May 28, 2007 6:23 pm

ascent+descent=fun wrote:do those wear pretty true to shoe size? and where would I get them molded if I buy them online?

In my case I went with a half size smaller than I wear in my Technica Icons. The thermo liner conforms to the foot a bit better if the fit is fairly tight. I just heated mine in the oven at 225 for 6 or 8 minutes per side. Check telemarktips for some DIY instructions.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Mon May 28, 2007 8:12 pm

thanks for all of the tips! so the main consensus is that I should be willing to sacrifice some touring comfort for stiffness when skiing correct? thanks for all of your help, that is exactly what I needed. AT here I come! I am hoping to hit some lines while they are still there this season!

Postby Ken Gross » Mon May 28, 2007 8:26 pm

The skiing is still great! I ski'ed Mt Guyot in Summit County Today! We got in over 2000' vert of skiing!

I just got into the Scarpa Spirit 3's and love them. Light, tour and hike very well and they ski as well as any 4 buckle AT boot. I think most people either have a Scarpa foot or they dont. Scarpas have a lot of arch compared to other AT boots. Garmonts tend to be low volume and they hurt my feet. I have never tried on Lowas, Dynafit, or Crispi boots. Your best bet is to go some where that has a good selection of different brands so that you can figure out wich one makes your feet happy.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Mon May 28, 2007 10:05 pm

do you guys thing neptune will have the best selection to choose from?

Postby Couloirman » Mon May 28, 2007 10:36 pm

neptune might have a good selection, but its almost crazy sale season so Id wait to see what you can get online for 1/2 off or something like that in the next few weeks. I love my scarpa denalis and wouldn't switch for any amount of money in the world.