More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Postby JHopper » Sun May 27, 2007 9:48 pm

:YY .....lol

Postby hatchmaster » Sun May 27, 2007 10:36 pm

Was Summit lake free of ice?

I want to do some hikes into the Chicago lakes soon.

Postby joe4186 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:50 pm

looks like tues when i have a couple of free hours to kill i'm going to go drive the highest paved road in the country for free.. no big deal...
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby Hiking Mike » Sun May 27, 2007 11:33 pm

:lol: Way to stick it to the Man, Bill! It's funny that they advertise "special time" photographing mountian goats on that permit.
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby Ocean1 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:51 am

Wow! your "average Joe" wouldn't know what to ask for let alone defend his position. I think the concept of "jack booted greenshirts patrolling and policing the mountain roadways is both funny and 1984ish. What's next?: cameras clandestinely placed on mountain trails. I pray no terrorist activity ever takes places in the mountains- then surely DHS (Department Homeland Security) would then have their reason to deny all access. Sadly, the greenies, are merely pawns following memos and job requirements filtered down from some all knowing USFS big shot. BTW, who the he** would that be?-name please.. If you really want to twist their shorthairs- have a well respected member of a hiking or climbing club publicly voice his displeasure with these harassment tactics- because from the initial post, this is what is being done, voice his displeasure and get some bad PR out there to put a little "tinkle" in their milk so to speak. When the citizens stop questioning and obeying, then we have a problem.. But I digress too much... the whole thing reminds me of boat launch access fees in FLorida. I live 3 miles from a sweat launch which gets me in the ICW to the ocean- the fee was 3$ . but because the launch was in Boca Raton- home to rich, well.. they passed an ordinacne that if you are not a resident then it's 20$ per day or 360$ a yearfor a stinking pass!- no one in Boca fishies, they drive slowly and complain about people like me who enjoy the outdoors and the Atlantic Ocean !!
So, from the mountains to the oceans it seems we're being squeezed.
IMHO-- gosh did I sound like a disgruntled - I'm outta here gotta go do yoga

Postby Todd Caudle » Mon May 28, 2007 9:34 am

I would suggest printing out a copy of this letter that Western Slope No Fee Coalition sent to the Colorado Transportation Commission, which lays out in excruciating (to the USFS) detail how wrong those greenshirts were to tell Bill he wasn't allowed to stop anywhere along the road. Anyone who wants to travel this Colorado-state-taxes-maintained road without paying a fee should brandish this letter whenever confronted by these tactics. I know facts don't always come in handy when dealing with govt. employees, but it's worth a shot...
http://www.westernslopenofee.org/NoFee/letter.pdf
Dog is my co-pilot

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 28, 2007 11:16 am

hatchmaster,
Summit Lake is still iced over.

Todd,
The fact that they even printed "nonstop" on their white, free pass sheet is amazing to me. What if a goat runs out in front of me? Do I stop to save his life and risk getting fined $10.

I don't have anything against the USFS, but this issue is just whacky. It was made public that they were being deceitful, and instead of being more open to the public and outright offering free passes to those that only plan to drive up and maybe stop on the road along the way, they hit the throttle and stuck to a flawed policy.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Meteor » Mon May 28, 2007 11:23 am

Piker wrote:
ajkagy wrote:how funny would it be to line up about 50 cars and just stream through there all with free passes...hehe

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Hmm, anybody thinking about organizing some form of "Let's All Enjoy the Mt. Evans Road for Free" day, where we get about 50 cars to drive up to the top, turn around, go back to the bottom, turn around, go back up to the top, turn around, etc... with NO STOPPING of course. Because that would be against the rules. :)

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 28, 2007 11:31 am

To me it would be worth the prize of gas!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby mtgirl » Mon May 28, 2007 11:39 am

Todd Caudle wrote:I would suggest printing out a copy of this letter that Western Slope No Fee Coalition sent to the Colorado Transportation Commission, which lays out in excruciating (to the USFS) detail how wrong those greenshirts were to tell Bill he wasn't allowed to stop anywhere along the road. Anyone who wants to travel this Colorado-state-taxes-maintained road without paying a fee should brandish this letter whenever confronted by these tactics. I know facts don't always come in handy when dealing with govt. employees, but it's worth a shot...
http://www.westernslopenofee.org/NoFee/letter.pdf

Is this the same Todd Caudle who publishes all the GORGEOUS mountain photos?? For those unfamiliar with him, check out his photos in the book "14,000 Feet - A Celebration of Colorado's Highest Mountains". I'm sure there are many others, but this one's a beauty ! Welcome to the forum, Todd.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Todd Caudle » Mon May 28, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm embarassed that it took me this long to register for this awesome site! Thanks for the welcome, mtgirl! I guess it just took me getting riled up about this issue to finally register my comments. I hated the fee demo program, because the thought of driving to Cordova Pass and parking a car meant I had to pay. Same goes for pull-outs – pull-outs, fer Christ's sake! – along many forest roads. But this Mt. Evans thing just took the ridiculousness to a whole 'nother level.

Pick a day to protest, and I'll be at the entrance gate with y'all. The media should also be alerted to the plan.
Dog is my co-pilot

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon May 28, 2007 2:50 pm

Wow, that is quite the story Bill! Its good to see everyone else's $10 fee going to pay for everyone to shoo you out of the parking area :lol:

PreviousNext