Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tribute Asscent

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Postby krz2fer » Mon May 14, 2007 10:18 pm

Humboldt in August sounds cool. I look forward to hearing more as the date gets closer!
Chris

Postby RockFarmer » Tue May 15, 2007 9:12 pm

I would like to go too.
"Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."

"Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."

June 16/17

Postby CODave » Wed May 16, 2007 11:11 pm

As many of you know, David planned his hikes well in advance. He sent me an email a few weeks ago with his tentative plans for every weekend for June through September. While looking through his list, I just noticed he had the Crestone group penciled in for June 16 & 17... how fitting.

Postby mtnview » Sat May 26, 2007 12:12 am

Although I don't even know yet if I will make it to Colorado only 50/50 with my injuries, I had a suggestion for the tribute ascent.

Please don't be offended Caroline but I was wondering if the Saturday August 18th would be considered as it would allow more regular working folk an opportunity to attend the climb rather than the wednesday which would entail quite a bit more juggling to make that date?

More folks could attend and easier to recover on Sunday a day off anyways.

No offense or insensitivity intended.

Allan
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby jimlup » Sat May 26, 2007 5:27 am

For me, August 15 is much better but I'm not a "working folk" during the summer and I do sympathize with that predicament. I could probably hold in CO for August 18th if that were the date, but I'd rather be back to Michigan celebrating my son's B-day on the 18th. :)

Obviously, Caroline should make the call with only trivially relevant suggestions from us.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby USAKeller » Sat May 26, 2007 4:03 pm

FYI: It has recently been brought to my attention by several friends that it is extremely selfish of me to plan this August hike. I do understand that, if I felt that there should be a hike honoring "David and I" then why can't there be one honoring the times when David met other people. I guess my only reasoning is that early on when this thread was started, it sounded like a lot of people weren't able to make the hike in June, so I jumped the gun and selfishly offered another date. While most all of the responses were positive and many people could attend the August hike, I know there are negative responses as well. If this didn't matter to me, I would blow it off, but it does matter and I'm sorry for my actions and coming off this way. That's not how I am or like to be. As I've said before, I have no idea how to deal with a loss of someone close to me, and clearly in several cases I've acted before I thought. With that said, I don't think that the August hike is a great idea.... but please feel free to let me know what you all think (by PM!). I'm open to anything, but with no intention of this being a selfish act.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby wasclywabbit » Sat May 26, 2007 5:59 pm

Caroline,

Just remember that no matter what date you pick some people will be able to make it and others can't; it's just the nature if the beast when organizing a group outing. The best you can do is set a date, stick to it, and enjoy the company of those who are able to attend.

By the way you've shown a great deal of strength and grace through this whole ordeal so don't let a few logistical issues bring you down.

As for me I probably won't be able to make either date so I'll just have to raise a toast towards Humboldt from the Crestone Needle when I'm up there in June.

Postby USAKeller » Sat May 26, 2007 8:06 pm

wasclywabbit,
Thank you for that- it means a lot. But, what I was trying to say was that why should it have been me to pick another date and not someone else who knew him well? That's not fair. All I want to get across is the fact that I realize that I've been selfish with this part of everything...
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby elkheart22 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:25 pm

wasclywabbit wrote:Caroline,

Just remember that no matter what date you pick some people will be able to make it and others can't; it's just the nature if the beast when organizing a group outing. The best you can do is set a date, stick to it, and enjoy the company of those who are able to attend.

By the way you've shown a great deal of strength and grace through this whole ordeal so don't let a few logistical issues bring you down.

As for me I probably won't be able to make either date so I'll just have to raise a toast towards Humboldt from the Crestone Needle when I'm up there in June.

Yeah, what he said.......
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby mtgirl » Sun May 27, 2007 7:39 pm

USAKeller wrote:All I want to get across is the fact that I realize that I've been selfish with this part of everything...

I can think of a lot of words to describe you, USAKeller, but selfish is not one of them. Words that do come to mind: strong, courageous, determined, intelligent, friendly, giving, and honest. Please don't let the mean words of others allow you to be too hard on yourself. Keep up that positive attitude that we all know you have.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby 14ers4me » Sun May 27, 2007 7:45 pm

Mtgirl has it right USAKeller. Although i dont know you personally, selfish is one thing that i think is way out of your ballpark. I think that you did what was in your heart when you offered this date and when you offer something like that it is not selfish. Stay strong because we all know that you are!
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home

Previous