High points for TM

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

shanahan96 wrote:ah, the toe and the snow cave. what an interesting idea! those had to be two of the most interesting weekends to kick off march.

unfortunately, i have serious doubts in some of my gear for denali-like conditions! any ideas for funding our ecuador trip next year?

jamie
Ecuador! Cool. Jen and I have been talking about going to the Galapagos Islands for a couple years now. Adding something like Cotopaxi might just be the icing on the cake. Perhaps we'll make it happen sometime between this Christmas and a few years from now.
shanahan96 wrote:any ideas for funding...?
Have you entered the 14ers.com raffle yet? It's getting up there.
shanahan96
14ers: 57  44 
13ers: 237 52
Trip Reports (16)

Post by shanahan96 »

Aubrey wrote:
shanahan96 wrote:ah, the toe and the snow cave. what an interesting idea! those had to be two of the most interesting weekends to kick off march.

unfortunately, i have serious doubts in some of my gear for denali-like conditions! any ideas for funding our ecuador trip next year?

jamie
Ecuador! Cool. Jen and I have been talking about going to the Galapagos Islands for a couple years now. Adding something like Cotopaxi might just be the icing on the cake. Perhaps we'll make it happen sometime between this Christmas and a few years from now.
shanahan96 wrote:any ideas for funding...?
Have you entered the 14ers.com raffle yet? It's getting up there.
always been a late comer to that party....but i'll make it before the clock strikes midnight.

jamie
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

Aubrey wrote:Thanks, Bogart.

Say, just wondering, is anyone keeping track of all this?
I plan to have a section on talusmonkey.com to track this.
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

Epic Jerimoth Hill Trip Report - 5/20/07

On my way back from a drunken camping trip in Western Mass this weekend I took a little detour to climb the mighty slopes of Jerimoth Hill via the dangerous West Ridge (Rhode Island/Conn Rt. 101)

The steep route to the summit:

After five STRENUOUS feet of elevation gain you reach the summit area. The register is in this mailbox:

The actual summit of Jerimoth is on a rock pile that is considered by many to be the crux of the route. Many a hardened mountaineer have compared this precarious and highly explosed summit to the summit block of Sunlight Peak in Colorado:

TalusMonkey and MountainDew on the register. This rockpile contains some of the best, and possibly only, alpine environments in the state of Rhode Island:

I was winded from the thin air of the summit area; at 812 feet, Jerimoth has only 99.99999999999999% of the oxygen at sea level. Neverless, I quickly made the steep descent back to my car. The views on 101 towards Connecticut were "breathtaking", most likely due to the "severe" lack of oxygen. (Warning: Do not view the following pictures if you have even the mildest fear of heights or vertigo)

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Western Mass. and you didn't get Mt. Greylock (3,491')?

I use to live at the base of the mountain. Map
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jeff_F
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff_F »

Awesome trip report!

:lol:
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Today, I put the name "Talus Monkey" alongside my own on the summit register of Humphrey's Peak, 12633ft, Arizona's highest.
David had been there on 11/19/06, and I referenced his entry for those who wondered who this monkey guy is.
I did my best to honor my memory of David's hiking--I went as fast as possible, with only two 30-second breaks in the first four miles (2700 ft).
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

We were camping in Beartown State Forest near Great Barrington, closer to Frissell, actually. Where did you live near Greylock? I've been to the summit before (via car), the area is beautiful and I plan on hiking it in a few weeks. Didn't do it this past weekend becuase I doubt that I would have had any luck convincing my buddies to climb any mountain.

del_sur, congrats on reaching Humphreys. I used to live in Flagstaff, still harbor great memories about that place. Just curious, how long did the round trip take you?
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

This is really cool. TM is laughing in heaven right now. And of course amazed at the attention he is getting. Very nice post.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

High Points

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

Thank you all so much for continuing these tributes to David. We're overcome with gratitude and appreciation. Thank you all.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

PatsSox09 wrote:
del_sur, congrats on reaching Humphreys. I used to live in Flagstaff, still harbor great memories about that place. Just curious, how long did the round trip take you?
It took me 1:55 up, 1:50 down. I'm just getting back into shape after a long winter of riding the lift up mountains.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
bencognito
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Driskill Mountain - Louisiana High Point

Post by bencognito »

Driskill Mountain is my first state high point. I prepared by spending the past six months hiking a nearby ten-mile loop with 40-pound pack each weekend. These weekend hikes culminated with a 30-mile trip through the Grand Canyon at the beginning of May. My hope is that this training will give me the stamina to summit this high point.

The roads were free of snow to the trailhead. I was able to park my 4Runner at the trailhead parking lot without using 4WD. (Upon leaving, a couple had just parked next to me in their new Saturn L300, so most 2WD vehicles should be able to navigate the church parking lot that is the trail head.)

I began the hike to the summit at 8:30 am, cloudy skies kept the temperature to a low 84. (Skies had cleared by the time I reached the summit.)

After checking my GPS coordinates and topo, I was able to locate the trail:

There is a map at the trailhead delineating the .8 mile trek to the summit.

Despite the lack of cairns, I used my acute navigation abilities to stay on course to the summit:

This picture doesn’t do the true grade justice. This is the final push to the summit:

Mountain Dew at the summit:

Celebrating at the summit, a hard-earned high pointer:

I left a printed copy of one of the sticker designs with the registry:

In the nearby town of Arcadia, I found the following restaurant.

It reminded me of a winter summit of a 14er, although instead of my Chick-a-Dilly, my……

Ben
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.