TR - South Boulder Peak (8549')

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
krz2fer
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (10)

TR - South Boulder Peak (8549')

Post by krz2fer »

Peak: South Boulder Peak (8549')
Date: Saturday, May 19, 2007
Team: krz2fer, ajkagy, Ryan (krz2fer's brother)
Route: Mesa TH
Roundtrip: 7 miles

We decided to attempt South Boulder after hearing about the steep incline and great workout. We were not disappointed. Arriving at the TH at about 8:30am we met up with ajakgy who was waiting for us. We quickly started up the trail and immediately marveled at the heat of the day. I ended up removing the zip offs from my pants and took a shirt layer off.

It wasn't too long before we got to the canyon area where the "stiff" hiking began (coined from Summit Post's description). The incline was never ending from this point on:

Summit Post reports this section of the trail is 1.1mi of incline but we all agreed if felt more like double. Our legs were definitely burning and taking a beating with this hike. ajkagy's GPS seemed to give never ending bad news as to where we were elevation wise as we couldn't see either South Boulder or Bear Peaks due to the tree cover we were in.

Finally reaching the saddle after a few stops to let our legs relax, we were welcomed with great views of Longs Peak:

We reached the summit at approximately 11:00am and took an obligatory photo. krz2fer, ajkagy, Ryan:

On the way down Ryan came across a "mountain wolf" that ended up being a large black dog, but nonetheless it received a chuckle. Gotta watch out for those wolves!

We all felt glad to get back to our cars and get out of there. The vertical gain on this hike is tremendous, and a must for a "stiff" workout :wink: We discussed dinner plans on the way back, and promised one another we'd reward ourselves later. Thanks to ajkagy for meeting up for a tough hike and good discussion.
Last edited by krz2fer on Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

so how bout that mountain wolf...that thing was a beast, haha

great hike to get the legs in shape.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

I'll def vouch ... that's a healthy climb. Same as Bear Peak ... it's a BEAR! Quite a bit of elevation gain in a short amount of time.

Funny, Jeffro, Jen and I were not far from you guys today. We were just north on the First Flatiron. Jeff said he'll be posting a trip report (the first outdoor class 5 climb for Jen and I). Big doings. My muscles are exhausted and my brain is fried.

BTW, on our hike back down, I saw a white mountain wolf. Some sort of "mutt," as I was told. Very rare species, I think. :lol:
krz2fer
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by krz2fer »

Aubrey wrote:BTW, on our hike back down, I saw a white mountain wolf. Some sort of "mutt," as I was told. Very rare species, I think. :lol:
Apparently it's a growing trend in that particular region 8) Looking forward to your TR.
Chris