High points for TM

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

doumall wrote:Caroline, I will look forward to seeing your names on the Mauna Kea summit register in June :wink: Happy Trails!
Joe- that's awesome you'll be there! You'll be seeing my name on it for sure- along with TalusMonkey's!
OBX Fisherman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBX Fisherman »

Great idea!! I'm driving back from Colorado to North Carolina sometime next week. I'll stop at Mt Mitchell in NC on the way past and sign his name!!!

Gary
88 XJ, 2 door, RE 4.5" lift + LA, 33" Swamper LTB, Hurculined, Caged, locked.
62 CJ-5 in process of restification.
92 4Runner, POS DD
85 yota truck, doner vehicle
Skitch14
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skitch14 »

shanahan96 wrote:
Skitch14 wrote:So...who is climbing Denali this year? :wink:
i'm your huckleberry! could you do me one small favor and fund the trip please? not really asking much :wink:

jamie
Im still trying to figure out how to fund my next trip to Colorado. If I win the lottery though, I will personally fund a team of 14ers.com members to climb Denali.
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Mt Arvon, Michigan successful summit

Post by jimlup »

The Talus Monkey was successfully entered on the Mt. Arvon summit log. We reached Michigan's highest point, the summit of Mt. Arvon, at 9:40 AM Sunday May, 13th, 2007. Further notations and explainations were added to the summit log after the Talus Monkey entry. We dedicated our summit to David.

The mountain was not difficult but it was interesting. The evidence of glaciers was everywhere. One could image them present in there full glory. The approach was very similar to a 14er without the altitude and the beautiful mountains in the background, though Lake Superior was certainly spectacular! We camped on the shores of Lake Superior and made our way to the trail head from there by car.

A close friend, Dianne, agreed to help with the driving on this long trip to the other end of the state. She climbed to the summit of Mt. Arvon. This was a significant achievement for her since she has some serious health issues; yet, she still managed to reach the summit of Mt. Arvon. I congratulate her on your successful, patient, and well executed climb! Way to go Dianne!

We were on the summit for about an hour and said Ojibwa, Ba'hi and Christian prayers in honor of mothers day, and for those we miss, including David.

Pictures and a brief trip report to follow in about a week. This one is for you David and Caroline.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
Bogart
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bogart »

For anyone in Missouri that is interested. I will be at Taum Sauk Mountain tomorrow in tribute to TM with Mountain Dew in hand. I will post pictures later but I wanted to put it out there to fellow Missourians who might want to join me. I am comming from Springfield. If you are interested give me a shout at 417-268-5511.
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Does anyone know what David's actual list of High Points was? If someone knows, you should post it via seperate thread and that way friends can check off those that they summit for the TalusMonkey.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

RenoBob wrote:Does anyone know what David's actual list of High Points was? If someone knows, you should post it via seperate thread and that way friends can check off those that they summit for the TalusMonkey.
After hitting the Kansas and North Dakota highpoints a few weekends ago, his completed highpoints (Western CONUS) are up to date on his 14ers.com profile (updated by him).
Bogart
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bogart »

Yesterday Rebecca and I took a trip to Taum Sauk Mountain. We did this high point in tribute to David Worthington (Talus Monkey) who passed away earlier this month on Humboldt Peak in Colorado. One of his goals was to stand on top of all 50 high points in the United States. With help from his friends his name will be registered at each high point.

We got a late start and did not leave Springfield until about 8:30 am. It is about a 200 mile trip from Springfield so we did not get there until about 11:30 AM. Upon arriving we gathered our gear and made the grueling 950 foot walk up the paved path to the highest point in Missouri, Taum Sauk Mountain 1,772 feet above sea level. We snapped a few photos then left a little memorial for David. We filled out a registration card in his name and left a Mountain Dew, “the nectar of the gods,” in the registration box. This was a little emotional for me as I have detailed in previous posts.

After Taum Sauk Mountain, Rebecca and I decided to take the three mile hike to Mina Sauk falls. The trail is mostly a class I hike with a few sections of class II. The hike was relatively uneventful with the exception of meeting a 70 year old man. This gentleman is a retired history professor from Northern California. He is on a mission to visit all of the places he taught about. He said he plans on celebration his birthday this year on top of Mount Whitney. He was pretty inspiring. When we got to the waterfall I proceeded to climb around on some of the cliffs in the area and pretty much act like an 8th grader. The Falls area is beautiful and another example of God’s work and how he is continually revealing himself to us through nature. The hike out was straightforward. I felt really strong on the way out and really kicked it into gear. When I say I felt good it was the best I have felt on a hike since my leg was amputated. Rebecca told me later that she had a hard time keeping up.

Overall, It was a great day with beautiful weather. I know Talus Monkey was looking down from his high point. This one was for you TM.

I do not know how to post pictures on here so if you want to see them they are at http://web.mac.com/chad_butrick
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

shanahan96 wrote:
i'm your huckleberry! could you do me one small favor and fund the trip please? not really asking much :wink:

jamie
Hey Jamie, I can design a sticker for you, which you can sell to fund your trip. Of course, you'd have to sell 10,000 of them, but it's an idea. :lol:

How 'bout a pic of you in a snow cave with a bulging toe? :lol:

Hell, someone's gotta do Denali for TM.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

Thanks, Bogart.

Say, just wondering, is anyone keeping track of all this?
Bogart
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bogart »

Like you said I think it would good to keep track of all of this in the newly formed talusmonkey.com. I am not sure how it would work but there are a lot of smart peopl on here that could figure out a way to track it. Let me know if I can help.
shanahan96
14ers: 57  44 
13ers: 237 52
Trip Reports (16)

Post by shanahan96 »

Aubrey wrote:
shanahan96 wrote:

jamie
Hey Jamie, I can design a sticker for you, which you can sell to fund your trip. Of course, you'd have to sell 10,000 of them, but it's an idea. :lol:

How 'bout a pic of you in a snow cave with a bulging toe? :lol:

Hell, someone's gotta do Denali for TM.
ah, the toe and the snow cave. what an interesting idea! those had to be two of the most interesting weekends to kick off march.

unfortunately, i have serious doubts in some of my gear for denali-like conditions! any ideas for funding our ecuador trip next year?

jamie