12ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gitsumpottery
Trip Reports (2)

Post by gitsumpottery »

If you're in Denver. Come up to Winter Park some weekend and either climb James Peak or Beyer's Peak right outside of WP/Fraser.

I've done both and found that Beyer's had a little bit more difficulty and a teensy bit of exposure. My fiance isn't a big climber, but she LOVED it. Plus, there is a bunch of mountain goats hanging around the peak. James was an easy class2, whereas Beyer's seemed more like a class 2+.

I think Beyer's RT was 6 miles but w/o 4wd it's about 8.

Both are easy to get to TH's in the summer.

Zac
krz2fer
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by krz2fer »

Chris Gerber wrote: - Flattop (RMNP)
- James Peak would probably be good (haven't done this one)
Couple thoughts from an experienced climber with a g/f :D

First being I took my ex-g/f up Flattop probably 4-5 years ago now.. and she is a tough cookie.. runner, works out, track team.. but she was so emotionally and physically drained she cried. That mountain surprised us all I think.

Last summer my current g/f and I headed up to James Peak. Getting up the elevation gain of the glacier is a challenge in itself, let alone adding in that motivation factor once you're on top and staring at James another X miles away. The biggest thing here is to stay on trail. We lost it at the bottom of the main ascent at the base of the mountain and ended up on a false summit drained. She was over it, and weather was moving in.

I would honestly recommend something like Shelf Lake (avatar). Did it last summer and it's a good length, you get above tree line, the views are excellent, and it works on the lungs.

To risk sounding like a jerk, on the trail with a semi-interested g/f is really all about tending to their needs and paying attention to what makes them happy (colors, views, etc) and noticing that along the way.

If only the ladies loved it as much as we do :wink:
Chris
AliceH
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AliceH »

krz2fer wrote:To risk sounding like a jerk, on the trail with a semi-interested g/f is really all about tending to their needs and paying attention to what makes them happy (colors, views, etc) and noticing that along the way.
If more guys realized this applies to just about any guy thing they're interested in and their g/f's not, they'd get WAY more action.
roozers42
14ers: 49 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (20)

Post by roozers42 »

Estes Cone in RMNP is a good one, fairly benign hike but you can do some scrambling at the top and see how she feels about it. I love that hike.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -cone.html
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

AliceH wrote:
krz2fer wrote:To risk sounding like a jerk, on the trail with a semi-interested g/f is really all about tending to their needs and paying attention to what makes them happy (colors, views, etc) and noticing that along the way.
If more guys realized this applies to just about any guy thing they're interested in and their g/f's not, they'd get WAY more action.
damn only if i knew....

Chris...speaking of flattop, i hit that today. Didn't seem bad at all, postholing was minimal. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a first time g/f hike, but it didn't seem as far as the trail mileage stated.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Honestly, I'd go the increment route - 11er, 12er, 13er - mixing in distances, elevation gains and trailless scrambles. The last thing you want to do is make the experience so miserable that the individual loses interest.

RMNP is a nice place to get things going.

Estes Cone (11,006) and Twin Sisters (11,423) gain about 2400 feet in 7.5 miles round trip.

Flattop (12,324) gains about 2900 feet in 8.8 miles round trip. You can add an additional 400 feet by scrambling up Hallett (12,713, very easy and 1/3 mile away).

You can easily access the Mummy Range peaks from the Chapin Trailhead once Fall River Road opens in late June. Chapin (12,454), Chiquita (13,069), and Ypsilon (13,514) are all tundra walks with some minor scrambling. If you want to add mileage you can park at the Alpine Visitor Center and add 3 miles to the trip (I've done this when the road has been closed).

Mount Lady Washington (13,281) is accessible via the Chasm Lake Trail and is a nice scramble with great views of The Diamond from the top (10 miles round trip).

Then you can get creative. Maybe hike up to The Keyhole and hit Storm Peak (13,326) or go back up Flattop and hit Taylor (13,153). I did the latter this past Sunday and it was pretty slick.

But the bottom line is to enjoy yourself.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
heather14
14ers: 45  1  7 
13ers: 93 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by heather14 »

Chris...speaking of flattop, i hit that today. Didn't seem bad at all, postholing was minimal. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a first time g/f hike, but it didn't seem as far as the trail mileage stated.
I did Flattop on Sunday. The trail in the snow doesn't follow the actual trail in most places....it cuts out some switchbacks so you're not going as far distance wise. I stopped to talk to a couple of guys on the way down and they were suprised at the time I made and thought it was fast....I just smiled and said yes it was. :lol:
What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. - Rene Daumal
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

AliceH wrote:
That's too funny! To be honest, I've been married long enough I'm not looking for any action anymore, I'd rather just climb lots of stuff. If I have to babysit and tend to emotional needs and all that stuff the whole day I'll just go alone. :-) :-)

(mostly kidding here... ) :wink:
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

heather14 wrote:I stopped to talk to a couple of guys on the way down and they were suprised at the time I made and thought it was fast....I just smiled and said yes it was. :lol:
:D You go girl ! Did you ever notice how many guys hate getting passed by girls on a trail?? Some will nearly kill themselves to stay ahead of you !! :roll:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
rlw49
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rlw49 »

mtgirl
As I age, I appreciate the view when I get passed by the ladies. Doesn't bother me at all.

Back to the post. Ptarmigan Pk, just north of Dillon is a great hike. No exposure, melted out, and great views. Plus the outlets are there if she wants to shop.