A more permenant memorial to TalusMonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
sundog54
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by sundog54 »

The idea of naming an unnamed 13er after Talus Monkey came up earlier in another thread. I PM'ed USAKeller about it, and she supported the idea. She also passed the idea on to Talus Monkey's sister, who also was supportive.

Rijaca is right, it's the USGS that has the say in these matters. It probably is not as difficult as some people think - it may take a little time and effort, but I don't sense much outright opposition from the USGS web site. They even have a web page specifically for new suggested names. I think we can make a very good case for naming a peak after David/Talus Monkey; I enjoyed his posts, and I consider his posts and the many hikes he shared with others (I didn't meet him) to be "civic contributions". And if the USGS gets in a snoot, i.e. doesn't think he rates, I bet a sizable crowd of us taking the matter up with Colorado congresspeople might make a difference.

I suggest those interested just take a quick look at the USGS web page...
http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/name_form.htm

...then give some thought to what peak might be appropriate; the 13ers.com link on 14ers.com might be useful, as you can see photos of unnamed 13ers in the various ranges of Colorado. It seems to me that David would most appreciate a peak which is easily shared with other people, something relatively easy to get to, and easy to hike; but then, I didn't really know him, so if others think he'd like it gnarly, that's okay. Maybe there's an unnamed 13er nicely seen from his favorite 14er, whichever one THAT is.

I suggest "David Worthington Peak", to distinguish it from other Worthington Peaks like the one in Nevada. If the as-yet-unchosen peak has no good trail to the top, I bet there's a bunch of people who would be willing to improve/make one, and name it the Talus Monkey trail.
stevepack
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stevepack »

Layne Bracy wrote:The most impressive Worthington summit in the US appears to be Worthington Peak in Nevada, with over 3000' of prominence.

Colorado has Monkey Face, a summit in Douglas County.
Since we are on the topic...I was looking on the Mountain Hardwear web page.

Monkey Man Jacket :D

I do like the peak naming idea. It would be a fitting tribute.
I prefer hypoxia to humidity.
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

The peak I would suggest is UN pt 13,823. I believe it is commonly known as Lackawana, however I do not believe that is an official name so it would probably be eligible for naming. I suggest this peak, because it is a peak he climbed a few weeks ago and it over looks Mt. Elbert, which was the last peak he climbed to finish his 14er list. I think both Worthington Peak or Mt. Worthington are very worthy names.

I also find this to be a better way of honoring our friend David instead of placing a metal plaque in a wilderness area. As much as I like idea, I remind myself of what David would want and I am pretty sure I know he would not want a plaque in his name placed in a wilderness area. He was very much a stickler for the rules and a supporter of wilderness areas, so we should all keep this in mind.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

pvnisher wrote:There's an article in a recently past Outside (or was it Backpacking) magazine dealing with how to name your own mountain. It's a somewhat political process, but if someone with some sort of drive and semi-legal mind to wander through the red tape took it up I'm sure it could happen.
I'm an attorney and would love to tackle this task. The key is having one person spearhead the effort. Otherwise, you have a "too many cooks spoil the broth" problem. I'd like to hear from members of the site, particularly those who were David's friends. If you give me the go-ahead, I'll PM David's sister and USAKeller for their approval. Let me know.
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

The process of naming a peak has been discussed before. It sounds very very difficult, to say the least.

http://14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5391
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

I agree with sdkeil about the plaque. David definitely would not want a plaque in a wilderness area. I do like the mountain naming idea, but seems appropriate for a meaningful peak, not just a random mountain. Lakawanna seems most meaningful.
sundog54
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by sundog54 »

sdkeil wrote:The peak I would suggest is UN pt 13,823.
It seems to be number 95 among the Centennial Peaks:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4093/highest.htm

Is it outside the wilderness area?
Last edited by sundog54 on Wed May 16, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

Yes it is outside of wilderness area. It is in San Isabel National Forest.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Just a hint for this quest... if the various controlling gumment agencies (NF, county, etc.) sign off on the idea first, it will probably help to "grease the skids" at the USGS a bit. Someone also brought up the idea of a senator/congressperson. Hopefully, that much grease won't be needed. But if anyone has any connections...
wasclywabbit
14ers: 33  3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wasclywabbit »

Keep in mind that David was well liked at work and was a fed employee. Perhaps his boss could walk next door to the USGS guys and get things moving.
RockFarmer
14ers: 38 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (2)

Post by RockFarmer »

That's a good idea. The sooner the better?
"Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."
"Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
"The mountains are calling and I must go."
Aspen Summit
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Aspen Summit »

gdthomas, have you worked with my mentor, federal judge sid brooks? :) Just curious.

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!