Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TR - Boundary Peak 13,143ft. - Nevada

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby Matt » Tue May 15, 2007 4:08 pm

Looks great, Bob. Thanks for reminding me that there are high peaks in places besides the Rockies.
How does the "hellish scree" compare to that on Wheeler Peak? That was my first 13er, really first real mountain years ago, so the top of Wheeler was hellish for me, but I don't know how hellish it'd be now.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby RenoBob » Tue May 15, 2007 4:22 pm

del_sur wrote:How does the "hellish scree" compare to that on Wheeler Peak? That was my first 13er, really first real mountain years ago, so the top of Wheeler was hellish for me, but I don't know how hellish it'd be now.

Matt:
Wheeler Peak NM or Wheeler Peak NV? I haven't done the NM version, but the NV version has a good trail to the summit. Scree doesn't come into play. I really don't know what other example to use. Just know that TalusMonkey referred to hellish scree in his Mt. Massive TR and when I asked him about it he told me it was vertical and you where losing almost as much ground as you were gaining.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Great TR RenoBob. Sounds like this was really tough both physically and emotionally. Good for you guys for gutting it out and making the summit. Er...what type of champagne did you say it was?
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby RenoBob » Tue May 15, 2007 8:10 pm

Slow Moving Fun Seeker wrote: Er...what type of champagne did you say it was?

1998 Jordan "J"

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Tue May 15, 2007 8:11 pm

NICE. Real NICE.
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby Matt » Tue May 15, 2007 8:39 pm

RenoBob wrote:
del_sur wrote:How does the "hellish scree" compare to that on Wheeler Peak? That was my first 13er, really first real mountain years ago, so the top of Wheeler was hellish for me, but I don't know how hellish it'd be now.

Matt:
Wheeler Peak NM or Wheeler Peak NV? I haven't done the NM version, but the NV version has a good trail to the summit. Scree doesn't come into play. I really don't know what other example to use. Just know that TalusMonkey referred to hellish scree in his Mt. Massive TR and when I asked him about it he told me it was vertical and you where losing almost as much ground as you were gaining.

Thanks, Bob. I meant the NV Wheeler. I remember hating the talus and scree, but again, that was my first hike above treeline--super newbie. My friend was getting sick from the altitude, so we could have been off the trail, too.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Aubrey » Thu May 17, 2007 8:37 pm

RenoBob wrote:Be sure and post a White Mtn TR because Les and I are going down there later this summer. Did you call the Bishop Ranger station about White Mtn. access?

Tried calling today but only got a recording. Unfortunately, it said the road was only open to a place [which I forgot the name of] that's about 4.6 miles short of Barcroft, i.e. the trailhead. White Mountain Peak doesn't gain much elevation from the trailhead, but it's something like 15 miles round trip, as I recall. Adding 9 more would make it epic -- and on snow, no less.

I'm hoping the recording isn't completely up to date, and I'm hoping for some melting and plowing in the next week or so. I guess we're going for Boundary and maybe Montgomery on the 27th and White on the 28th, so we'll see. We'll be packing the ice axes and snowshoes. We may just carry both and use whichever is warranted (although, I doubt we'll need axes on White, as it's pretty much a road).

I'll be calling those rangers back soon. I want to find out about the Queen Canyon Road access. I don't mind giving our rental Trailblazer a workout, but I'd rather not get it stuck.

Boundary

Postby RenoBob » Fri May 18, 2007 8:40 am

Aubrey wrote:
RenoBob wrote:Be sure and post a White Mtn TR because Les and I are going down there later this summer. Did you call the Bishop Ranger station about White Mtn. access?

Tried calling today but only got a recording. Unfortunately, it said the road was only open to a place [which I forgot the name of] that's about 4.6 miles short of Barcroft, i.e. the trailhead. White Mountain Peak doesn't gain much elevation from the trailhead, but it's something like 15 miles round trip, as I recall. Adding 9 more would make it epic -- and on snow, no less.

I'm hoping the recording isn't completely up to date, and I'm hoping for some melting and plowing in the next week or so. I guess we're going for Boundary and maybe Montgomery on the 27th and White on the 28th, so we'll see. We'll be packing the ice axes and snowshoes. We may just carry both and use whichever is warranted (although, I doubt we'll need axes on White, as it's pretty much a road).

I'll be calling those rangers back soon. I want to find out about the Queen Canyon Road access. I don't mind giving our rental Trailblazer a workout, but I'd rather not get it stuck.

Aubrey:
You can "talk" to a ranger at that phone # if you go through all the recorded messages. Have you seen the Queen CanyonTR on Summit Post?
http://www.summitpost.org/route/156020/ ... route.html
You won't need snowshoes on Boundary/Montgomery by then. Take your axes, but I really doubt you'll need them. I would definetely take trekking poles for the descent off of Boundary.
The road to the TH at White Mtn. terminates at the BarcroftLab/gate at 12,200. Elevation gain to the summit is only 2000 over 7 miles, but there is a small valley you dip into that adds a few more verts. If the road isn't open to Barcroft then you will be looking at a long death march. I really doubt you'll need snowshoes there either.
Good luck, good climbing, post me a report when you get back.
Ciao,
Bob

Previous