Lugging your DSLR around

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lugging your DSLR around

Post by Oman »

thexcat wrote: I'm also trying to find a solution to carry a my dslr: rebel + 70-200 telephoto lens (f4). If anybody has solved this conundrum, do share please.
I ski with a Clik Elite chest pack. Works fine for hikes, too, though you feel a little like you're wearing a Baby Bjorn. You put it on first and wear your backpack over it. Quick and easy camera access.

Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

+1 on the bandolier technique

+1 on wrapping & stuffing your camera until you find your "wow moments"

Also: Take a good look at the Canon G12.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... amera.html
It's Canon's top end point-and-shoot, takes great pictures, small and lightweight, 10MP, shoots RAW (as well as JPEG), accepts filters, and has a good tele capability. The downsides are its kinda small sensor size and limited wide-angle capability. It should be fine for just about anything short of taking pictures for sale or big blowups. If those are your concerns, the decision is already made--lug along the best DSLR you can afford and keep it on your neck.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
Atitone
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Atitone »

Bean wrote:Get a LowePro TLZ-1 (or similar camera bag that fits your camera + lens). Put the waistbelt on your pack through the beltloop on the back of the TLZ-1. Hook a biner from one of the D-rings on the TLZ and attach it to the shoulder strap or something similar to restrain it back out of your way. I should just write a blog post when I have time on this issue since I keep repeating myself.
Do you have a photo of this setup for better vizualization?
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

I bought these two to try out, the strap shot, and wanderer holster. https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/camera-belts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have more elaborate systems as well.
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

the spider holster- solid build, has lasted for years.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _clip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ip_v2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess this probably didn't exist when the thread was started.
xthine
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xthine »

^ That's the one I've been using with my Sony A6000 (I'm sure it will work with DSLRs too). Took sometime to position it right on my pack but once adjustments were made it stayed secure and comfortable to wear.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Packing up this morning to head down to the Crestone and I'm trying to figure out a solution to this problem myself. I recently smashed a lens to my D610 in a minor fall on the El Diente Traverse. I just picked up the Lowe Top Loader bag but I didn't like how it rode up high up on my chest. My solution was to improvise an attachment down low to the waistband of my pack using two BD Neutrino carabiner's and some para-cord. I think it's going to ride really well and I'll be able to use my dslr outside of summit shots!

Patent pending...
Improvised Lowe Top Loader.JPG
Improvised Lowe Top Loader.JPG (127.38 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
pman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pman »

Sorry for your loss. Keeping cameras safe on climbs is not easy. I also struggle with this but the trade off carrying a big camera means higher res photos etc ect. I would love to buy a full frame mirrorless Nikon but " Mucho Dinero " Until then I will continue to take of my pack, pull my camera out, get some shots, pack it away and move on. Good luck out there. We are fortunate to have access to such unique places to shoot photos....
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

OK, not a clip or strap, but I have a new favorite small camera to recommend: The Canon M3 Mirrorless. Compact, reasonably light (about 1.25 lb with kit lens) and packs a lot of power with its 24MP APS-C sensor. With its smaller scale (which it gains largely by relying on its LCD screen and giving up its prism/mirror system), it uses smaller, lighter lenses. It also has a lot of customization, which some of the earlier Canon compacts lacked (e.g., customizable picture styles that allow you to get those good, high-contrast/saturation Fuji Velvia-style landscapes). On a recent trip to Maine, I shot pics that also drew a lot of praise and stood up to high-quality 16X24" enlargements. I've been most pleased!

The low weight also allows me to take a smaller tripod that I can easily slide in an old stuff bag and slip in my pack.

The downsides are relatively slow focusing and back-panel buttons that are too easy to hit and re-set some of your camera settings. The smaller lenses are not a crisp as big lenses, but the quality difference seems to be small. For me, these are not show-stoppers--worth it for the +++ I otherwise get. It means a lot to me to have a light camera on either a high-endurance hike or when going into a new area that I don't know will yield great views.

I always hike/climb with my camera looped over my neck and one arm. I accept the risk of a busted lens or filter as part of the tradeoff of having my camera ready to shoot. (And if the shot is good enough, I stop and go for my tripod.) Yes, I have fallen and once smashed a good polarizer in Big Bend, but the camera and lens both survived OK. (This is one of many reasons you should ALWAYS keep a filter on any lens worth having.) I carry spare lenses in a waist pack in Zing pouches and always carry a spare dry bag in case of serious rain.

OK, thanks for letting me ramble on. If any of you have or get one of these (or another light mirrorless), I'd enjoy hearing about your experience.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I also use the LowePro toploader system and have found it to be pretty ideal for most climbs. I've lugged my D800 up a lot of peaks with it and have had very few problems. It is heavy though. I've used the Sony A7R but the weather proofing on Sony systems is pretty terrible so I switched back to my Nikon set-up. Honestly, you can spend less money on other gear to make it lighter than to re-invest in a new camera system.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

I've used the PD Capture Clip (linked above) a lot with my Canon 7D2 and I think it's awesome. I've used it on class 4/5 terrain with a pack on it's been great to be able to get super fast shots off and then keep climbing, without fumbling around in your pack or a separate case. I've even used it with my 400mm f/5.6 lens successfully.