A more permenant memorial to TalusMonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
RockFarmer
14ers: 38 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (2)

A more permenant memorial to TalusMonkey?

Post by RockFarmer »

I found 14ers.com shortly before the tragedy that occurred on Humbolt Peak. I, like many on 14ers.com, am very sorry about what happened. I never new TM in real life or through the forum, only the stories I heard about him. After hearing them, I wish I had the opportunity to hike with him. I am somewhat familiar with death, and I have had close friends and family members, pass on. It is never easy.

There are too many threads about TM for me to read right now, so the idea I am about to propose may have already been brought up. I got this idea after hearing about the tribute hikes, plaque(s), funds, and what-not. What, if possible, we made a more permanent memorial/tribute to TM?

A couple of ideas:
- Name a trail after him, either an existent trail, or soon-to-be existent trail. We could call it, TalusMonkey Trail.
- Name a mountain (big or small) after him. I think Worthington Peak sounds suitable. This, obviously would be much tougher, and may require political clout, I really have no idea. (Everyone that would summit this peak would be required to do the Captain Morgan pose.)

I can see the last suggestion being nearly impossible. If it doesn't get a lot of support, maybe everyone can pick out a mountain and fondly call it Worthington Peak or another name that would be worthy of the TM legend.

These are obviously big ideas, most likely too big, but I thought I would throw it out any way.
"Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."
"Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
"The mountains are calling and I must go."
14ers4me
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14ers4me »

RockFarmer,

I think that both of those ideas are great ones. I am sure that naming a trail after him wouldnt be too hard but like you said, the mountain tribute would be very hard. I think all of us would be willing to support it though. With the right action taken and the right people backing us, i think it coule be done.

We miss you Talus Monkey! RIP
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home
JHopper
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JHopper »

you would think it could be done with all the un-named peaks
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

There's an article in a recently past Outside (or was it Backpacking) magazine dealing with how to name your own mountain. It's a somewhat political process, but if someone with some sort of drive and semi-legal mind to wander through the red tape took it up I'm sure it could happen.
Ski4Fun
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ski4Fun »

I like the sound of Worthington Mountain. It has a nice ring to it. I'm sure TM would be very proud of this, if it could be done.
Ski now, work later.
Mark
Chris P.
14ers: 55 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Chris P. »

there was a thread on here recently about naming a peak. I don't remember who it was, but someone on this forum was responsible for getting American Peak and Columbia Point named. I would have to go back and look for the thread but it explained the process of getting a peak named.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

From the US Board of Geographic Names FAQs:
Please note that no natural feature (and certain manmade features) may be named for a living person. A potential honoree must have been deceased for at least five years, and must have had either a direct and long-term association with the feature, or must have made notable civic contributions.

See this thread:
http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... +mountains
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

The most impressive Worthington summit in the US appears to be Worthington Peak in Nevada, with over 3000' of prominence.

Colorado has Monkey Face, a summit in Douglas County.
RockFarmer
14ers: 38 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (2)

Post by RockFarmer »

Just goes to show TM's celebrity. He already had a peak named after him :)
"Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."
"Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
"The mountains are calling and I must go."
Van McDaniel
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Van McDaniel »

Years ago the big 13er, Unknown 13,841 just south from Pacific Peak and north of Fletcher, was known unofficially as "Atlantic Peak". The name caught on after several years and a couple of years ago the peak's name was changed to Atlantic Peak by the powers that be. I do not know what the process is to name a peak but I am sure that it can be somewhat involved. It would be my guess that the powers that be would be in no hurry to name a peak after David anytime soon, if ever. However, at the risk of going political and sounding presumptive I will make this suggestion; How about the members and users of this site petition those that rule and lord over us for a peak name change? A petition with 400,000 signatures on it may carry a lot of weight. If I have just done a major web site faux pas by this suggestion I will apologize to Bill Middleton and all site members in advance.....I can understand where any political activity on this website may not be a good idea. BUT!!!! Assuming it is a good idea, there are plenty of unnamed 12ers and 13ers out there that need a name. What would be the criteria for a peak to be worthy to carry the name "Worthington"? Here are my thoughts:
1. Major 13er or 12er presently unnamed.
2. Difficult to access.
3. Gnarly and grungy as in plenty of TALUS.
4. Walkup but with some class 3 and 4 routes.

If a petition is a bad idea or if it will not work then just pick a worthy peak and name it after him "unofficially". In time the name may catch on in an "official" fashion. If this whole thing is a bad idea, it is not my first and it will not be my last. Just a thought
Eat Dessert First!
Bresch
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (2)

Just a suggestion

Post by Bresch »

I for one think Quandary is a horrible name for a mountain, Mount Worthington is classy, noble, and beautiful name, and the east ridge route?? The Talus Mounkey Route, now who wouldn't love climbing that???
Brad Snider
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 72 4
Trip Reports (14)

Re: Just a suggestion

Post by Brad Snider »

Bresch wrote:The Talus Mounkey Route, now who wouldn't love climbing that???
I agree! :D