Squaw and Chief conditions...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XkyleX
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Squaw and Chief conditions...

Post by XkyleX »

I thought it would be appropriate to post this as I saw many ill-prepared people heading up there when I was leaving. If anyone is planning/wanting to do these soon, I would recommend snowshoes for Chief. I tried heading up that trail and turned back after postholing to my knees one too many times. As for Squaw, you should be fine without them (as it was fairly well consolidated) if you head up early enough. I got back to my car before noon and it was starting to be a slog not long before then. Although, when I went off trail to heed Mother Nature's call, I sunk up to my pride and joy.

I also met the sweetest couple on the trail today. I would say they were in their late 70's and they were snowshoeing up Squaw. The gentleman told me that his wife had broken her kneecap near the top whilst skiing there years back, and skied all the way down. Then, a week later, she hiked in Yosemite in cast that went from her upper leg past her knee. Amazing! I hope to have that much drive and ability to enjoy the outdoors when I'm their age.
Kill the doubt inside your head. We overcome. We push ahead. -Modern Life Is War

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 18
Chris P.
14ers: 55 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Chris P. »

I'm assuming you're talking about squaw/chief in the weminuche? If so, I'm going to be climbing chief on wednesday so thanks for the update. How were the views to the west? I'm really anxious to see how the needles are looking, as well as the rio grande pyramid.
upndown
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Squaw and Chief conditions...

Post by upndown »

XkyleX wrote:Although, when I went off trail to heed Mother Nature's call, I sunk up to my pride and joy.
So the snow was say...3 inches deep? 8)
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Thanks for the info... was thinking of going up there next weekend.

Edit: just read the rest of the thread... are you not talking about the Squaw/Chief off Squaw Pass Road?
XkyleX
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XkyleX »

Sorry, I was referring to the Squaw and Chief near Evergreen.

upndown,

No, I'm not that blessed.
Kill the doubt inside your head. We overcome. We push ahead. -Modern Life Is War

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 18
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

XkyleX wrote:Sorry, I was referring to the Squaw and Chief near Evergreen.
Otherwise known as the Squaw and Chief off of Squaw Pass Road.
XkyleX
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XkyleX »

Really?! I had no idea. Thank you so much! One of these days I'm going to get to the bottom of this mystery of how I get places. Until that day, I will assume it's the amazing-telepathic-navigational-computer hidden somewhere in my car.

- 1 Corinthians 18
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Have you heard of the ancient invention called "the quote"? It would have eliminated a lot of the confusion here.
JRfromAZ wrote:Edit: just read the rest of the thread... are you not talking about the Squaw/Chief off Squaw Pass Road?
XkyleX wrote:Sorry, I was referring to the Squaw and Chief near Evergreen.
See?
XkyleX
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XkyleX »

Yes, and I saw JRfromAZ's post after I posted that. I simply replied to Chris P.'s post about the Weminuche as soon as I read it. Then again, I'm sure you -- in your all-knowing wisdom -- knew that. I'm sorry, but some of use have better things to do than hang out on the Forum all the time *cough* 553 posts *cough*.

I see the concept of a joke is lost on you, grasshoppa. If you haven't already, be sure to check out the "Just say Non to French Mountaineering Terms" thread; there are a lot of your kind over there.

If you need me to explain any of the above, PM me. I know, I know, it's a tall task, but I'll do my best.

- 1 Corinthians 18
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!! Dude, that was the friggin' funniest thing I have EVER read!!! EVER!!!

(I don't want to look foolish by not getting whatever your awesome joke was.)

If you think I don't have a sense of humor, you should see how much I get paid for browsing this site when I'm supposed to be working! Now THAT would make you laugh... :)