David's Memorial Service

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

David's Memorial Service

Post by Inky6900 »

I attended David's memorial service today and stayed for a little more than an hour. Like many or most of you, I did not know him.

David's life impacted mine and his death has done so too. This past week I kept thinking of his family, his parents in particular and his friends. I thought of USAKeller as well. David was a person not much older than myself and someone who enjoyed the outdoors like I do. And yet at only 38 he is gone.

At the memorial, I was able to meet many of his friends...and some people like myself that didn't know him. Just going to the memorial gave me a better understanding of who David was. These were some of the things people said about him. I apologize that I don't remember people's names.

Caroline's Mom said - "David was someone who really wanted to get to know you as a person. You could see he wanted to find out who you were and that was something special about him."

One of the climbers that ascended Mount Elbert with him said - "He wore that Pimp Suit the entire way up. You'd think he'd just carry it up and then put it on at the summit but it kept it on the whole way!"

A High School friend of David's commented - "He was a character that made you smile."

One of his College friends told me - "He was a person that always found a way to do what he wanted to. Nothing held him back. He tried going to college for a while then went back when he was older. I'll have to admit I was somewhat jealous of him for that."

That same college friend of his told me a few stories about David that made me laugh. He said when they were in school, at Larimie, that David wanted to capture a prairie dog and take it back to NC with him as a house pet. I guess he set several traps and caught a few things including a ground squirrel. He never got the prairie dog he hoped for because he was trying to get a young (baby) one to take. He also said they once took his company truck to the badlands to go shooting. He said the drove all over the place with that truck and beat the heck out of it before taking it back to work.

What I noticed at the memorial from all the photos of David and hearing everyone talk was that he lived his life to the full. He truthfully impacted people. He didn't just take in life...HE GAVE BACK! Even on this web site, it is easy to click on what you need, print it out and leave. David didn't just take...HE GAVE BACK TO ALL OF US. We all read his reports and stories, we all saw his pictures and we all laughed and enjoyed. HE GAVE BACK! And that is the best thing a person on this earth can do!

David's death has made me realize more than ever that we need to give back to this world. All of our clocks are ticking and when the Good Lord takes us we can't argue with Him for more time. I hope that whether I have one day or 50 years that I can give back to this earth like David did.

I saw people laughing today...and people crying. And I envy them because I never knew the person that changed there lives so much.

To David's family, thanks for opening the service to all of us at 14ers.com. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Josh Aho (inky6900)
guitarczar
14ers: 8 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitarczar »

well said inky6900 - thanks for sharing that for those of us who wanted to be there but couldn't
"the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had"
guitmo223
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitmo223 »

That was very touching. I wish I could have been there.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

Thanks Inky. I just got back from my son in laws graduation and daughters move home day from college. I was hoping that someone who had attended David's service would post. I'm pleased to say your words made me happy. David's life touched all of us and it sounds like his family and Caroline's received more validation of his life.

Thanks

Glenn Sliva
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
Charla aka Chulabelle
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Charla aka Chulabelle »

It was a beautiful memorial of a beautiful life. I was glad I got to go, even if it were only for a short while. I hope to climb with many of TalusMonkey's friends this summer....I'm ready!
Gone missing in the shrewd, sharp moon
Full and too soon
Was my fickle doom
As I crawled among its hungry womb
Charla Stilling
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Inky- very well put. It was nice to meet you! In fact, I had a very nice time meeting all of you who came. We did take a 14ers.com group photo so I'm hoping someone will post it with screen names too!

I think the hardest part about this loss will be understanding and accepting the fact that David physically won't be there climbing with me this summer, so I truly hope that I will climb with any of you sometime this summer.
Kate
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kate »

USAKeller wrote:I think the hardest part about this loss will be understanding and accepting the fact that David physically won't be there climbing with me this summer, so I truly hope that I will climb with any of you sometime this summer.
Many people have lost a great hiking partner and friend. I think David would take pride in the fact that many new hiking partnerships will develop from this.
--- http://www.talusmonkey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ---
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Memorial

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

It was nice to meet so many of you at the memorial. While talking with Gary, Caroline and David's family, I got to hear a few more stories about him. I happened to be in talking with them when you guys took the group photo, so maybe we can take another one on a summit this year.

And, Scott, the "14ers Jihad" shirts were top-notch!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Thanks for posting for those of us that was unable to
be there. My thoughts were with you all yesterday.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
highaltmama
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highaltmama »

I too stopped by for a short time, looked at the many pics and watched the slide show. Sorry, Caroline that I didn't get to shake your hand or give you a hug. By the time I left I couldn't find you. I also look forward to hiking with David's friends this summer.

Does anyone know how many people signed the book or attended the service?
KirkT
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by KirkT »

It was very nice to meet so many of the 14er's extended family, albeit the circumstances. The memorial service was very proper and set up as a beautiful tribute to David. The slide show showed over a 100 photos, many of which I have never seen before. It truly was a celebration of his life. The hard back photo albums were a very nice touch to show some of the aspects and people of his life.

Caroline, it was very nice to finally meet you and look forward to this summer's climbs. I too was inside visiting during the group photo, we'll get a good one on one of our hikes this summer.

Take care,

Kirk
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

Here are some photos of the Memorial Service and BBQ afterwards:

14ers.com members (L to R: Jeff_F, Shanahan96, Kate, Roozers42, JCWhite, USAKeller, AzScott, Scanner, CODave, swturner, stevevets689, sdkiel)

Kate, CODave, AzScott, Lady T showing off the 14ers Jihad replica shirts:

AzScott and CODave drinking Colt 45 as a tribute to TalusMonkey:

AzScott performing the obligatory Captain's pose:

CODave performing the obligatory Captain's pose: