Talus Monkey Memorial, Saturday, 2-5

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

If anybody can come help us celebrate David's life, please do. I would love to meet any of you.
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

I think I might be in the neighborhood... what is the proper attire?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Too bad I am stuck in Texas right now, otherwise I would attend.
Two Headed Boy
14ers: 31 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Two Headed Boy »

I made plans to do some trad climbing early in the morning but will probably be finishing up around 1:00pm so I also would like to know what the attire requirements are as I most likely will not have time to go home and take a shower. I made these plans in advance and would feel bad if I bailed out of them.
spartanmax
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spartanmax »

I am certainly no expert on etiquette, particularly in instances like this. But if I may be so bold, I think the important thing is that you are there.

If there is a group of people that would be capable of understanding if you came to pay your respects looking like you just came in off of a hike or climb, this is it.

If the board thinks I am way off base on this one, I understand...
He's listed as day-to-day. But then again, aren't we all? -Dan Patrick
highaltmama
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highaltmama »

I absolutely agree with spartanmax. I worked in a funeral home for 13 years doing every job imagineable. The one thing I don't want to do ever again at a funeral/memorial is wear black, unless the family requests it. I think it would do people good to see you there in your hiking/climbing clothes. It is a celebration of his life, isn't it?

People can disagree with me, however. Wear what you believe will most honor his life.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Attire: I just spoke with Gary- nothing too dressy. Guys probably are fine in a dress shirt and pants, girls are good in the same. I won't be wearing jeans though. But, don't make a big deal out of it. I think David will just be happy to know you've come to honor him- I think I just heard him tell me that. :D
colopilot2002
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colopilot2002 »

I wish more then anything that I could come pay my respects with everyone, but sadly I promised my father and mother inlaw that I would go out to nebraska to help them around the house, and as the married guys know its never good to piss off the mother inlaw.

But I will countinue to keep David, family, and friends in my prayers... I might of missed it but what is the address where flowers can be sent?
Tread light, leave only foot prints and take only memories...
junebug
Trip Reports (0)

YOUR SISTER

Post by junebug »

Hey Gary,
Sorry we didn't get to talk last night. I know you have been very busy with the difficult tasks at hand. I just wanted you to know that June and I and the kids send all our love to you and David's mom and friends. I have no idea what it's like to go through what you are right now. I wish there was something I could say or do. Just know that I hurt terribly for you. David was such a wonderful person even if you guys teased me as the "annoying little sister". I will miss him too. Hannah asked me to tell you that she loves you and so do I. David was a friend to everyone who encountered him and I am grateful that you were both blessed with the close friendship you shared. We are so sorry for the loss of your very best friend. Please tell David's mom that we are thinking about her and praying for her and that she has our deepest sympathies. Give me a call when you get some time.

Love to all,
Kate, June, Hannah and Christian
xxoo (that's from Hannah)
Dakota proverbs: "You are know by the tracks you leave behind."
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

I'm sorry I can't be there because I'm in College Station bringing my two daughters home and one son in law's graduation. I have sent very special flowers that David should have seen on most of his summit trips. I'll try and make the June 15th - 17th birthday climb and August 15th one as well. I very much would like to meet some of you that new David.

Glenn Sliva
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
OBX Fisherman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBX Fisherman »

Let me revise the attire for Saturdays memorial, I will were khakis and a nice shirt, but everyone should were what ever they feel comfortable with! David never liked requirements!

Way back in 1992 or 93 David joined the Kappa Delta Pi honor society when he was attending Appalachian State University. I guess this is a very prestigious honor society and all new member were nice suits to the induction ceremony. David being the non-conformist he is wore a suit and tie... along with roller blades and his Oakley sunglasses! The induction ceremony went on but the next day David was summoned to the Deans office and scolded for the "inappropriate behavior" David laughed it off!!!!

Gary
88 XJ, 2 door, RE 4.5" lift + LA, 33" Swamper LTB, Hurculined, Caged, locked.
62 CJ-5 in process of restification.
92 4Runner, POS DD
85 yota truck, doner vehicle
Two Headed Boy
14ers: 31 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Two Headed Boy »

I was going to go anyway I just wanted to give everybody a heads up that I was not intentionally being disrespectful. I was thinking about it anyway and my climbing clothes are probably the nicest looking clothes I own.

I could probably get away with showing up in an in honor of pimp suit but seriously I am looking forward to meeting David's family and friends and will be there hopefully prompt and in fashion.