USAKeller and TalusMonkey

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jeffro
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jeffro »

USAKeller:

A very moving tribute...very helpful to those of us who knew the two of you only through this site.

It is my sincere hope that it is helpful and/or cathartic to you. Your outstanding courage through all of this continues to shine.

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!
PA Jen
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PA Jen »

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing.
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

I'm speechless after reading that. What an incredible story. I have no words for it, just WOW. I am so sorry for what you've lost, but also happy for what you gained in TM.
davidameyer
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davidameyer »

Caroline,

You and David are in my prayers. If there is anything at all I can do for you (such as ship some salsa from a New Mexican restaraunt, or anything else for that matter) please let me know.

Respectfully,

Dave
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Caroline,

Well, I haven't really known what to say so I've been sort of quiet about David's passing. However, your writing allowed my emotion to surface -- this passage is very beatiful, tragic, appropriate, and everything else in between. Your courage, compassion, and bravery are truely remarkabe...the marks of a mountain person.

You'll be in my prayers and I wish all the best as you grieve and recover.

Please let me know if there is ANYTHING at all I can do.

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
mtnbikerskierchick
14ers: 54 
Trip Reports (1)

Thanks!

Post by mtnbikerskierchick »

Thanks for sharing your memories!
Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick on Thu May 10, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest thing in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
--Walter Bagehot
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

USAKeller:

I am unable to put into words how sad I am for your loss.

There are a lot of people who love both you and Talus Monkey that you have never met.

The very last PM that I have received through 14ers.com was from David on 4/26, after he bailed out a post I made by inserting a photo. He told me about his experiences in Kentucky and actually living near Ft. Campbell in the 90's. When he found out we would both be in Montana in July, he immediately laid out his schedule in an effort to hook up on a climb or some other adventure. I felt honored to even be considered a worthy hiking partner of the infamous TM. We actually were going to miss each other by 3 or 4 days and I was tremendously disapointed.

I too have been lucky enough to make each of my 14er summits with the one I love the most in the world and I have a small sense of how much it meant to you to summit with David.

This loss gives us all the more reason to finish the rest of the peaks in tribute to his memory.

Love, Jeff and Jan
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
KirkT
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by KirkT »

Caroline,

Thank you for that heart felt story. It takes alot of courage to spell out your most intimate feelings towards a person on an open forum. Your story gives all of us a unique insight to a man that not many knew personally but that many wanted to know. You have helped with that.

You are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

Kirk
Don Eberl
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Don Eberl »

After reading all of the posts since Talus Monkey's death, I had know idea of the magnitude of this websight. I didn't realize that the climbing community could be defined as a family. I only joined this websight last summer to learn about the mountains. I am hoping to add to my only 2 fouteeners this summer. I genuinely hope to meet some of you this summer and hope to join a couple you on some climbs. I never met TM but he sure sounded like a great guy who loved life and shared the passion for the mountains. I would love to do a hike with some of you who knew him and here some of the many stories. (I have a feeling there are a few).

USA Kellar I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure he will be in your heart always. God Bless
Flatland Biker
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Flatland Biker »

Thank You Caroline for sharing all of this with us. Talus Monkey was an outstanding member of our hiking/climbing community and so are you! I hiked today up in RMNP and I know I didn't go over a minute or two without thinking of you and the Monkey Man as I hiked through God's Country. Thanks again for everything. I'll never forget USA Keller or Talus Monkey!

Flatland Biker

"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"
tshesky
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tshesky »

Tally-up another one who is touched by your stories w/ TM... and I'm sorry for your loss. So happy to hear about your relationship w/ God. Just rely on Him...

--Ty
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
KendraJBranch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KendraJBranch »

:cry: What a moving story! I don't know either of you and I'm crying right now because of how sweet your story is.

There is nothing in life like finding a partner. In whatever context it is. Partner for hiking, climbing, dinner, or life. Nothing replaces that and it feels like you two had a great partnership. I think all of us can really feel it with your posts.

Thank you for being so generous with your emotions with us. I know all of us are thankful we can share this with you.

I can't imagine what Saturday will be like for you and David's family, but my heart goes out to you all. I pray that this time is gentle with you. Take care.