In Memoriam - TalusMonkey, you will be missed

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KenE
14ers: 31 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KenE »

I have been on this earth now for over half a century and have never mourned the loss of someone I had not actually met like this. Like many of us I followed the rescue closely and all seemed well. During the night I woke and came to the computer to check on his progress. Then there was the report that he had died and I collapsed into the key board.

We've become a community here. I keep having this vision of a college campus. There is always one guy that everyone knows, and on ours that was the Talus Monkey. Many of us would pass anonymously, but all of us would nod and say "hi" to David. We followed his "Jihad", read his trip reports, and many of you spent time with him. He was colorful, outrageous, irreverent, while being kind, considerate and obviously a fast friend.

The Purple Pimp suit has been mentioned often. Anyone can buy one, or wear one. But, only the Talus Monkey could wear one with grace, style and aplomb while climbing a high peak.

Last year when it became obvious that David and Caroline had become an item my heart warmed. Now, there was a handsome couple. The joy in their eyes and smiles leaps from their photographs. Look at this, he has his unique smile in all the photos, but in those with Caroline, there is a special brightness. You can feel it.

Our loss is great. To his parents, family, the young man he was a father to, and Caroline it's unfathonable. I have only the simplest and most sincere words for you. I'm heartbroken and so sorry.

I see the Wilson's almost every day here. I was driving and realized that he had stood on each of those three peaks and had to pull to the side of the road. Remember this, when you see or stand on any of the 14er's that the Talus Monkey was there.

Our hearts are broken at the loss of David. He was a beautiful young man.

With Love to All,
Ken Edmondson
highaltmama
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highaltmama »

It's hard not to check the website frequently to read all the new messages that just keep coming from everywhere...
Last edited by highaltmama on Fri May 11, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I still can't believe that TalusMonkey is gone. It's so sad that he's no longer posting on this forum. It just isn't the same anymore. But I feel even more sorry for David's family and for Caroline -- I have said it already before but feel compelled to say it again -- my prayers are with you, and I seriously doubt 5 minutes go by during the day when I do not think about David and how much joy he brought to mine and so many other lives, even though we never met. I've got few regrets in life, but one of them is never having met and climbed with the famous TalusMonkey. Those of you who knew him and climbed with him, consider yourselves truly blessed. I am lovingly envious.
I'll summit my first 14ers this summer, if the Lord grants me that honor, and I will always think of TalusMonkey when I do so. Someone mentioned thinking of TalusMonkey when we see a 14er, and I have done that since he passed. Living in Littleton, I can see Pikes, Evans, and Longs, and everytime I see them now I think "TalusMonkey conquered that mountain."

We miss you, TalusMonkey. I wish you knew the extent of the lives you touched.

James
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Tim McMarmot
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tim McMarmot »

When I saw the special forum for TM, I thought "please let it be a surgery issue" and not something more. I feel now like I did two summers ago when the ranger died in RMNP - someone I'd never met but felt a connection with just the same. TM always made me feel better with his stories here and its clear the world is a lesser place.

USAKeller, I'm sure a million others have said this, but let me know if I can help with anything.

Rest in peace and enjoy Heaven, Talus...

Tim
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

KenE wrote:I have been on this earth now for over half a century and have never mourned the loss of someone I had not actually met like this. Like many of us I followed the rescue closely and all seemed well. During the night I woke and came to the computer to check on his progress. Then there was the report that he had died and I collapsed into the key board.

We've become a community here. I keep having this vision of a college campus. There is always one guy that everyone knows, and on ours that was the Talus Monkey. Many of us would pass anonymously, but all of us would nod and say "hi" to David. We followed his "Jihad", read his trip reports, and many of you spent time with him. He was colorful, outrageous, irreverent, while being kind, considerate and obviously a fast friend.

The Purple Pimp suit has been mentioned often. Anyone can buy one, or wear one. But, only the Talus Monkey could wear one with grace, style and aplomb while climbing a high peak.

Last year when it became obvious that David and Caroline had become an item my heart warmed. Now, there was a handsome couple. The joy in their eyes and smiles leaps from their photographs. Look at this, he has his unique smile in all the photos, but in those with Caroline, there is a special brightness. You can feel it.

Our loss is great. To his parents, family, the young man he was a father to, and Caroline it's unfathonable. I have only the simplest and most sincere words for you. I'm heartbroken and so sorry.

I see the Wilson's almost every day here. I was driving and realized that he had stood on each of those three peaks and had to pull to the side of the road. Remember this, when you see or stand on any of the 14er's that the Talus Monkey was there.

Our hearts are broken at the loss of David. He was a beautiful young man.

With Love to All,
Ken Edmondson
Ken. I felt the same way, I too, have over a half-century on this rock.
And I have never mourned a loss of somebody I have never met like this before.

Very strange sensation.....
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
Jeff_F
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff_F »

I still can't believe what happened. Very unfortunate. :cry:

I'm thankful I had the opportunity to hike with TM, along with Scott and CODave on San Luis last year. Even when summitting, we all did that together, even though I was dragging behind. I began last year looking for people here to hike with because I couldn't trust those whom I hiked with in the previous year. Friends, whom I had known for certainly more than 12 hours ( which is about as much time I knew these 3 ) yet felt more secure and was never left behind. The time during that trip spent with TM was great and I wish I could have hiked more with him.

It just reiterates why I hike with new people here as those that never met TM are willing to do the tribute hike and have poured in with messages. This is such a great community that I'm glad to be part of.

I too took a day off this week to hike in tribute to Dave. I loved what Flatland Biker did with the whip cream, but instead I just kept he and his family and friends in thought. It was a great day, even though I still couldn't find Timberline Falls in the Park. Ah well, just gives me another reason to get out there and find it.

Rest in peace, my friend!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir
14ers4me
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14ers4me »

Death is somewhat new to me, i know USAKeller used those words and although she must be hurting 100 times worse than me right now i dont know how else to express it. My Great Grandma died when i was only 7 years old and that was the closest person to me to ever die. Talus Monkey's death has helped me gain a new respect for life. I think too often many of us take it for granted when really there are a million things that could take us from this earth at any time of the day. As many others have, i will carry david's memories with me from now on when i climb.

USAKeller, i hope to one day be able to climb with you and all of the rest of the fabulous members on this sight. We truly are a family.
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home
Beaker
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beaker »

As so many have said, even tho we mnever met he felt like a friend. I think all the 14ers.com members are friends because of the connections we have. I too mourned the loss of TalusMonkey more than anyone else I had yet to meet. I think this says ALOT for the kind of man he was and the positive impact he had on say many.

I wish I could've hike with him to truly get to know him better. My heart goes out to ALL that knew him personally or through the internet! He will be missed but not forgotten.

I think we all should toast TalusMonkey with a colt45 or Dew the next time you summitt a 14er - I know I will!!!!
You have a cough? Eat a whole box of Ex-Lax tonite, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.
shappys
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shappys »

I would also like to offer my sympathies and best wishes to the family of TalusMonkey and to USAKeller.

I have been reading and enjoying TalusMonkey's trip reports and comments for almost a year now and I actually feel as if I have lost someone close to me. His adventurous and humorous spirit was refreshing and entertaining.

I live in North Carolina and I was interested in the fact that David was from NC and actually spent time on the Outer Banks where I used to live.

When I hike and climb the mountains of North Carolina, I will pay tribute to the wonderful spirit of TalusMonkey!

Dan
Julie M
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Julie M »

David and I were work colleagues. He sat a couple of cubes over from me. We had many conversations ... about the hiking he'd done the previous weekend, his hiking plans for the upcoming weekend, ideas on what outfit he would wear up a mountain this year (a cowboy? a pirate? a mariachi?). He was very smart and learned quickly. He was professional and performed high quality work. His vibrant character and sense of humor was refreshing. There were times when it would be stone cold quiet and then out of the blue you'd hear "Smokin!" or an impression of Gollum laughing!.

But I must say he was really in his element when he was hiking. To hike with David was to really know him. Interesting and lively conversations. We went on a hike (North Twin Cone Peak) and two snowshoe trips (Bierstadt Lake in Estes Park and Ouzel Falls). He was a patient, admirable instructor and mentor. He was a big fan of Crescent Moon snowshoes (I think he owned three pairs...one was hot pink!) and through his reseach and advice, I bought a pair too. And of course after the hikes there was David slugging down four huge Mountain Dews and eating as many breadsticks as he could.

As was already mentioned, David absolutely loved his cats Tigger, Troubles and Annie. The day after his passing we spent most of the day together: lots of hugs, pets, combing, catnip and play. His love for them was evident. They are now staying with a close family friend and will soon be lovingly cared for by a family member.

David, I will miss hiking with you and the fun conversations we had at work. After returning to the office on Thursday, I saw you rounding a corner with your swift, upbeat walk and beaming smile. Your presence will forever be with us.