9News Video Tributes to David (5/8/2007)

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Dan9NEWS
Trip Reports (0)

9NEWS looking for David's friends

Post by Dan9NEWS »

Hi this is Dan Boniface from 9NEWS.com - I just figured out how to get registered on here.

As Bill mentioned in his post, we would really like to put together a nice piece on David and would love anyone who wants to tell some stories from his life to call Anastasiya Bolton. She is out in the field now and would like to record this as soon as possible so they can edit a nice package on it. Please call her at 303-653-6753 if you would like to share your stories about David.

Thanks,

Dan Boniface
9NEWS.com
Dan Boniface
9NEWS.com
dan.boniface@9news.com
colopilot2002
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colopilot2002 »

Hey guys, I just recieved an email in my myspace for a staff writer from the Denver Post, however I will leave this to those that better knew David in person...

Email recived.

My name is Manny Gonzales, I'm a staff writer for the Denver Post reporting on David's death. Please contact me as soon as you can. My number 303-954-1537
Tread light, leave only foot prints and take only memories...
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:9News is looking for some of David's close friends to maybe provide a camera interview today for a story TONIGHT at 9pm. I've emailed a couple of you already, but if you were close to David and would like to help out, please contact Anastasiya Bolton (9News) at 303-653-6753.
Bill:
Would you please copy this newscast to the website for those of us out of town?
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I've added the latest video piece from 9News, which includes an interview with Caroline.

Click on the photo to see the video on David's tribute page.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

The 10pm live broadcast was the same, just with a different news anchor.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

Haven't noticed any links to it, but the Rocky Mountain News did a story:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/l ... 90,00.html

A few factual problems (Mount Humboldt?) but generally accurate.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Thanks, Nathan.

I added the link to David's tribute page.
denalibound
14ers: 32  7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by denalibound »

To be completely honest I am a little disappointed in the Rocky Mountain News article. When I initially sent a message to most of the local news outlets several required a phone number. I got a few calls from different places, but the guy from RMN seemed a little off from the start of our conversation.

After being told that he wanted to tell the story of David Worthington and not report on the incident, I directed him to speak to individuals who had actually spent time with him, in hopes that a more complete picture could be painted by those closer to him than I. After skirting questions that were asked about David on a personal level (because I have never actually met him in person), I answered a couple of questions about how I knew TM, for how long, and what make him popular on the site.

It seems that the article fell short of unwrapping TM personally, and did indeed focus on the incident. I'm a little upset that virtually all of the very brief comments I made were the basis for his look into the life of David Worthington.

By sending my original message, I did a small part in helping the world know that this indeed was a story that needed to be told, but I apologize to those who know David better than I for the inclusion of my words in these stories. I did know TalusMonkey, but I didn't know David, and as such I am in no real position to tell his story. His full story should be told in a way only his real life friends can tell it. I am just a small portion maybe worthy of a paragraph in the book.

They also spelled my name wrong. :evil:
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Hey Denalibound!

Thanks for helping to bring David's story to the world. I've learned never to trust a reporter's claimed direction. Perhaps the editor forced the story to be mostly about the accident.

As a couple of days pass, I think we all realize the true weight of David's story, or rather, I should say: "The Legend of the Great Talus Monkey!"

For me, that we are the real keepers of this story, makes it all the more special because it is something given to us directly by the amazing universe that we got to share with David for just a little while.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

denalibound, don't beat yourself up about this at all. You've done a wonderful job at spreading the word, and ensuring that it's the right "word."

And media does tend to lean toward incidents and "shocking" accidents rather than "life story" pieces. Sad but true. Good thing is, this 14ers.com forum has spread David's story much more than any other source possible. Bill has -- once again -- stepped up to the plate. Awesome work. I truly believe TalusMonkey would be proud ... er, shocked, rather, by just how much people cared about him.

I've worked in the newspaper biz for the past eight years, and not to denigrate my industry, but even if you gave them 100.0 % correct info, they'd still skew or screw something up. Hell, the Camera, where I work, hasn't even covered this story, and that's kind of pissed me off (although, it really is only a Boulder County paper).

Overall I've been pretty happy with the 9News coverage. And the reporter that logged on here was right on. Very professional, sensitive to the situation and compassionate. I forgot which thread that was on, but if anyone knows, send me the name. I'd like to send a note to that reporter.
ontopoftheworld
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ontopoftheworld »

Aubrey wrote:Bill has -- once again -- stepped up to the plate. Awesome work. I truly believe TalusMonkey would be proud ... er, shocked, rather, by just how much people cared about him.
I would also like to thank Bill for his amazing work once again. The quick action of putting together a TM memorial page just shows Bill's dedication to this community. I just entered 4 entries in the REI contest because I felt the desire to do something to say thanks.