In Memoriam - TalusMonkey, you will be missed

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Aubrey wrote:Anyone else remember his earlier avatar with the Enzyte guy? That was so TM. You couldn't not laugh when you saw that thing.

Know that Jen and I will be thinking about him on Boundary Peak in a few weeks. RenoBob, we'll be right behind ya.

David touched so many people's lives. He certainly won't be forgotten.
Aubrey:
Yep, I remember the Enzyte avatar, I thought he was either bragging or very secure witha personal condition. We'll leave you a little surprise on Boundary and something for David too.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

I too, remember that Enzyte avatar, I remember thinking
that this dude must be a hoot to hike with......
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

Hey sdkeil, you must've missed this day on Elbert ...

I won't forget it because those Hooters girls never stopped complaining and asking questions.

"I'm tired."
"It's cold! Does anyone have an extra jacket?"
"Why don't they make wicking panty hose?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Do they sell wings on the summit?"
"Do marmots bite?"

elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Aubrey,

LMAO....... :lol:
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
JeffL
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeffL »

I am one of the unfortunate ones who nerve got to meet TalusMonkey. I'll never forget what I thought the first time I read his profile. I was blown away by what he'd done. Then I spent some time looking at his photos and thought how much fun this guy has while climbing. I am sorry that I'll never get the opportunity to climb with him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, USAKeller and all of those who knew him.
YorkyNige
14ers: 6  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by YorkyNige »

Hello All.

Couldn't stop thinking all day about the tragically sad news about Talus Monkey. I normally day-dream about very English things like Football (soccer), warm beer (at the end of the working day) and news/topics I have seen on the BBC in the morning before going to work, but Talus Monkey has been snowshoeing through my thoughts all day dressed in an outrageous purple pimp suit!

Just goes to show you how someone you have never met can have an unexpected affect on you.

I've never met him, talked to him or discussed anything on 14ers.com with him (I'm newly signed up since the end of last year), but he's one of the 14ers members who's stood out the most on this site with his wit, humour and terrible FlavaDave dress sense.

I would have loved to have met the guy and shared a few beers with him, but unfortunately he is now busy on scaling those pearly gates (he probably refused them being open for him, just so he could add another summit to his belt!)!

The goings on over the last few days (especially bearing in mind what I have to lose - 3 beautiful kids under five years old and an amazing wife) have really sobered me up in terms of my attitude towards doing more 14ers, and made me respect them 1000% more. I will plan to do more, but I will listen doubley-hard to the advice I am given by you guys on the forums.

Anyway, I would just like to say that I am sorry from the bottom of my heart, for his family, USAKeller and all of his friends.

USAKeller - you did everything you possibly could in the circumstances. I'm sure David is extremely proud of you for all your efforts in letting people know he was in trouble.

To SAR (Mountain Rescue) - you guys are amazing. Mere mortals like myself cannot begin to think how hard it must be to do what you do at a moments notice. It took me months to get up the guts to try my first 14er!

Finally, before I stop waffling, I would just like to say that all these forum posts demonstrate to me what a fantastic bunch of people you all are. I've found everyone so incredibly helpful and kind on this site, and I would be honored to be able to hike some peaks with some of you when I next fly over the pond to Colorado.

RIP Talus Monkey

YorkyNige
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

I don't normally do eulogies, but I changed my mind when I realized that I was tearing up almost every time I came on the forum in the last day.

I'm another reader who's never met David but have always wished that I had (and, obviously, wish so even more now). It's pretty rare that a person makes me want to meet them based solely on their online personality, but David pulled that off easily. I always wish that I'd been able to have as much fun on a hike as he did, instead of concentrating so hard on the destination. And for him to be such a helpful and giving person, even on his final day, is the pinnacle of kindness.

TM, I'm glad I'll finally get to meet you (in spirit) on August 15.

Jeff
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

YorkyNige wrote:I would be honored to be able to hike some peaks with some of you when I next fly over the pond to Colorado.
Very well put, YorkyNige. You had me laughing with the pearly gates bit. You've definitely captured his personality.

I really hope TalusMonkey is reading all these posts. I think he would get a kick out of them.

And let us know when you'll be jumping the pond. Any given weekend throughout the summer you can pretty much guarantee that a slew of us 14ers.com members are up on a 14er somewhere in the state. In the least, I'm down for some pints. And if you give me time, I might even be able to find a place with real ale on the hand pump.

cheers,
Aubrey
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

There will be several of us who will be raising a toast to Talus Monkey from San Jacinto Mountain in Southern California this weekend. He will be missed and I always looked forward to his trip reports, expertise, and especially his humor. RIP David...............RD
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
YorkyNige
14ers: 6  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by YorkyNige »

Aubrey,

Would love to meet up some time for a beer and a chin-wag. We're out next in December/Jan (snowshoeing in Cameron Pass - wherever that is!) and then planning on climbing Longs next summer.

Love your TalusMonkey/Elbert Summit/Hooters shot. My wife walked past me as I looked at the photo and I bet she was wondering what kind of web-site I was actually on!!! :lol:

Funnily enough, I introduced my climbing mate in CO to 14ers.com when I sent him a link to TalusMonkey's Elbert/Pimp Suit trip report. Really shocked me when I realised who the chap was who had fallen.

Yorkynige
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

Thankfully I had the chance to speak with Talus Monkey by phone and by PMs. The last correspondence I had with David was regarding Culebra and a possible San Luis Trip. Damn. So sad I will not get the chance to tap into his wisdom, and experience his gentle nature and generous spirit first-hand. Speaking with him on the phone he mentioned how he had met so many great people by setting up climbs via 14ers.com, and how wonderful it was when you found people with whom your personalities "clicked." Was looking forward to finding a new friend to hike with this summer. I hope the Culebra trip is moving forward. Now, more than ever, I want to meet those of you who also use this special site. Sorry I'm rambling, but I feel I know so much about many of you through your helpful and often hilarious posts, and my eyes are tearing up as I write this.

Anyway, stay safe everyone. Again, hope to meet you all soon. Caroline, David's family and friends, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Much Love,
Mel
neighbor
Trip Reports (0)

R.I.P. talus monkey

Post by neighbor »

i'm so very very sorry to read this news. never met him,never corresponded with him but was impressed by his seemingly outgoing and fun personality. i hope he didn't suffer too much,and had the people whom he loved and was loved by surrounding him in his last moments here. see you when i get there.
where's houdini???