Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

mildly neurotic wrote:Any indication as to his location and/or elevation? That would be a huge factor considering the weather tonight. The fact that SAR called it off even with exact GPS coords would make me think he is above treeline? We are all a community here and most of us wish were were out there right now rather than watching helplessly.
The news report said he was above 12,000 ft., so definitely above treeline. I saw this story earlier in the day and wondered if they were members on this site. I just never would have guessed it was TalusMonkey. Wow. I've never personally met him, but like others have said, I feel like I know him just from hanging out in the forums. He will definitely be in my prayers tonight. Hang in there TalusMonkey!!!
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
KirkT
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by KirkT »

I too have never personally met them, but feel I do know them from their many posts on this site. From what I have read David is usually very prepared as well as USAKeller. I have no dount he'll be ok, nonetheless, my thoughts go out to him in his difficult night ahead..Hang in there man.. we'll all with you.

Kirk
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Based on the 2 sleeping bags that USAKeller left with him, I think he will be warm enough - low ~14F tonight, 5 - 10 mph winds, 7 - 10 inches of fresh snow. Obviously they were prepared for an accident since they had bags which means they were thinking. I'm worried about the injuries though - warm thoughts and keep your fingers crossed!!!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
colopilot2002
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colopilot2002 »

Sadly when I saw and posted this story I had one of those bad feelings that it would in fact be someone that we all know from the site... I have learned alot from TalusMonkey and USAKeller's posts and the vast amount of wisdom they countinue to pass along. While I look forward to learning more of how this happen, for now I will be keeping them both in my thoughts and prayers.

God Speed... :cry:
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

I know I don't post as much as both those two do (I guess I am the quiet reserved one of the group), but I have known USAKeller for eight years and I have just gotten to know TalusMonkey and I have been hiking with him this a lot this winter. They are both my friends and nothing is more frustrating then sitting here in and not being out helping right now, I wish I would have gone with so he didnt have to spend the night out on the mountain alone. This is a very serious situation and all we can do now is hope and pray for the best. David I will thinking the very best for you tonight.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Here's hoping every minute of help -- and laughs -- he has given us in this forum can be converted into minutes of painkiller on that mountain tonight...
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

Hopefully he has some Colt .45 with him to keep warm tonight.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

Damn it. shanahan96 and I just returned from the Sangres. I desperately wish we had know while we were in the area. You are so right sdkeil, it is extremely frustrating to be sitting here not able to help.

Hang in there David. We're sending warm thoughts and many prayers your way.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Scott Rogers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scott Rogers »

I'm hoping for the best. I know this is a serious deal, and it takes a serious climber to get through this. Best wishes to David and USAKeller.
joe4186
14ers: 24  5  1 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by joe4186 »

best wishes to the monkey....

--we should go get him!!
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"
Two Headed Boy
14ers: 31 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Two Headed Boy »

I wish Alex Lowe was still around, they could just send him in with those coordinates to his location and he would most likely be back with him in a handful of hours. Here is one of his extrodinary rescue stories.

One time Alex was pressed into service to do a mountain rescue on Denali National Parks Mount McKinley. Taken up in a special military helicopter in horrible conditions to over 19,000 feet Alex and a close friend scaled down a 400-foot ice wall to the trapped and dying climbers. One injured climber needed immediate evacuation, but bringing him up the wall was impossible, except for Alex. Alex's friend ponder how they could possibly get the injured man out in enough time, Alex put the crippled climber over his back, and at 18,600 feet up proceeded to carry him up the 400-foot ice wall and up the mountain to the waiting helicopter. A picture of Alex crossing the snow with the dying hiker chronicles this incredible and selfless act. Both men survived their ordeal. Now that is a hero of superhuman strength and character.

I have good feelings of a safe recovery first thing in the morning and will be watching closely for any details. It sounds like USAKeller did everything right and gave everyone involved the best possible chance for a successful rescue.
Last edited by Two Headed Boy on Sun May 06, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Prayers all around. I can't tell you how thankful I am that SAR knows his GPS coordinates and he's got some things to keep him warm during a long, cold night. The sooner Dave gets back down in the morning, the better.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells