Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Post by doggler »

Horton Ridge FTW
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

I never met Horton :(
But, I bet if someone makes a pretty cool, robust trail sign, with Horton's photo or a professionally looking woodcarved out sketch of Horton, and labelled it Horton's Ridge or Horton Trail with an arrow, it would stay there for a long time.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I was just looking at a map and, lo and behold (yes, I did spell that right), the so-called 'East Ridge' of Quandary actually faces slightly southeast. Therefore, calling it the East Ridge is rather inaccurate.

Horton Ridge is better and more historical. I will be referring to it as Horton Ridge henceforth. :mrgreen:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Maybe we could get a stuffed dog and post it like a sentinel at the trailhead. With an appropriate plaque in bronze of course. And an eternal flame...

Where can I send my donation?
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

I don't think there are any "rules" for naming mountain peaks, ridges, etc. I once worked with an older gentleman who was a land surveyor for the USGS a long time ago, in his younger days he had surveyed a bunch of mountains in Wyoming and named several of the peaks for his wife and kids. To the best of my knowledge, they go by those names on the quad maps. I'm sure there are more "rules" when it comes to major peaks though, I'm guessing Pike's Peak was officially named that at some point.

Horton Ridge sounds like a good name to me....
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

Vids wrote:I don't think there are any "rules" for naming mountain peaks, ridges, etc. .
Actually there is. USGS has specific rules for naming peaks (I'll see if I can find them). I don't know if there is any "rule" for a ridgeline, saddle, etc.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

http://geonames.usgs.gov/docs/pro_pol_pro.pdf

Naming "rules" starts on page 19 I believe.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

I stand corrrected. It makes sense that those rules exist. I'm guessing the guy I knew was able to name those peaks since it was about 50 years ago, likely before those rules were in place. From what he told me they were small peaks (8,000 ft-ish) in the middle of nowhere. I'm pretty confident he was truthful about it, he didn't have much to gain by making it up.

I'd be curous to know how much scrutiny there is over naming once you get past the major peaks. Doesn't sound like much, the rules read like you could get a local petition going to name a small peak and if there wasn't much opposition it would go through.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Vids wrote:I'd be curous to know how much scrutiny there is over naming once you get past the major peaks. Doesn't sound like much, the rules read like you could get a local petition going to name a small peak and if there wasn't much opposition it would go through.
There is a ton of scrutiny. My dad's friend tried to get one of the 33 Sheep Mountains in Colorado named Mt. KIA/MIA. Nope, sorry we're not going to do it. He was persistent for 2 solid years (correction, it was 5 years) before the USGS finally got tired of him and named an obscure 11,000 ft. peak Mt. KIA/MIA. It's almost impossible to get a peak named something in a wilderness area.

The process of naming Mt. KIA/MIA.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic ... 0KIA%2FMIA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deepskyfrontier
Trip Reports (1)

Post by deepskyfrontier »

When I saw this story:

http://ktla.com/2014/11/28/stray-dog-bo ... gh-amazon/

my mind went back to Feburary 12 of 2010, almost five years ago now, and the day I met Horton.

It was cold up there-- windchill in near -20 inside the snowcloud that shrouded the summit. On the long way up, I remember looking around, checking to see where Horton was, and not seeing him anywhere... until I looked down, just inside my own lee. Two of us didn't go all the way to the summit, but Horton was one of the three of us that did. Two humans, one mountain spirit in golden furry form.

I don't know what drove Horton to climb Mt. Quandary the thousand-plus times he did -- crossing a virtual continent of miles in the process. Whatever it was, it's a beautiful thing. I've walked hundreds of miles along summit ridges and animals are a rare thing. In the game of raw survival, summits are a dead end. As humans, we may feel alone, from the vantage of bipedal, binocular, and bicameral perspective, in knowing that climbing mountains is transcendent, and in no soft way. There is no space for abstraction on a winter summit. Up there, reality is diamond, hard and clear. Horton knew with his being. Hard and clear, that was Horton, and his always-ascending soul.
JerryB
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JerryB »

I got to hike with good ole Horton a few times.

Was a Good dog. Will be missed.

RIP Horton
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

Was there ever a plaque placed up there for Horton, like suggested? I hiked Quandary Peak this past September but I didn't see anything.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.