Night Ascents

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chris P.
14ers: 55 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (5)

Night Ascents

Post by Chris P. »

I was wondering how many of you have done a night ascent on a 14er. By night ascent, I mean summiting before first light, not an hour or two on the trail before sunrise. Let's hear the stories.

My only night ascent so far was on San Louis last August. It was a pretty amazing experience. we missed out some on the views, but the sky was amazing that far removed from all light pollution. This summer I would like to do at least one or two peaks at night and summit in time to watch the sun rise.
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

My only 14er night ascent was Shavano/Tabeguache. It was spontaneous - I had arrived at the TH after midnight and then just didn't feel like trying to camp in the cold and wind. Summitted Shavano at 4am, then hit Tabeguache and made it back to Shavano by 6:30am, 15 minutes before sunrise.
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

My two attempts at a night ascent, last June, was technically a failure. Despite leaving the Crags TH for Pikes Peak at about 1 am, we failed to reach the summit before sunrise. The hike in the darkness was still amazing.
Two years earlier, I left the Purgatory TH in evening twilight, hoping to reach the summit of Eolus by sunrise. Didn't make that one either, as the sun rose on us in the snowfields at about 13,500 ft.
I'm keen to try it again. Tentative plan for this summer is an easy peak like Quandary, coincident with the Perseid meteor shower--hopefully arriving at the summit not only before first light, but early enough to stretch out and enjoy some meteors. Informed by experience, I figure a 10 pm start should do it for a short hike.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
K Unit
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Night hiking reply

Post by K Unit »

A buddy and I planned to camp at Kite lake and hike Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross the following day. When we arrived we changed our plan and hiked all four that night. It was an amazing experience. The night made the hike very cool and adventerous. We left at 10pm and made it back around 3am. The only thing I would have done different is in the planning phase mistakes at night can be unforgiving especailly around cliffs!
skwid
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skwid »

on july 4th I started an ascent of democrat at 10:00 pm summited at midnight... and on the way down a cloud surrounded me... and I got lost... thought I found the trail ended up it was a dry river bed... but in the end it was my favorite climb...
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Several times. The most memerable were the two times I was on the summit of Longs for sunrise. Just amazing.
Couloirman
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Couloirman »

last year during the meteor shower I climbed torrey's, summited at 3 then watched meteors while i waited for the sun to soften the dead dog and skied it in awesome corn.
Buckeye
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Buckeye »

Agree with Bean. A buddy and I did Longs last summer during August I believe. We started the trailhead at midnight under a clear, full moon sky which provided a surreal hike. We missed the sunrise by about 10 minutes, but it was still awesome.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Popular mountains are best done at night. I did Grays and Torreys and never saw another person the entire trip.

I also have caught sunrise from Longs, but still saw a ton of people. In retrospect I should have done the whole route in the dark.

Princeton at night was awesome since some low clouds moved in below us. The moonlight on top of them was amazing.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

BTW the problem with a night climb is you get some pretty lousy pictures:
http://www.hikingintherockies.com/fourt ... orreys.htm
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
MJKeenan
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MJKeenan »

We started Sherman at 10 at night, then since it was so short we just stopped at the Kum N Go in Leadville and drove over to Elbert. Didn't make it to the summit of Elbert for sunrise but we were still above treeline. It was funny because everyone we passed on the way down challenged the fact that we actually summitted when it was actually our second summit that morning!

I highly recommend checking the lunar cycles on your calender. It's much better if you can hike without headlamps.
Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it
Right in two
TalusMonkey
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (33)

Post by TalusMonkey »

I did Humbolt at night last June. Started from South Colony Lakes right at dusk, summited at 2230. Took a photo with the full moon behind me at the wind shelter, then descended to the Humbolt saddle and camped at 12,800'. Breezy night, but clear skies through dawn. Next morning I scampered around the South Colony cirque, over the Bears Playground, and up Crestone Peak via the north couloir.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."