Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gray's peak in april?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Gray's peak in april?

Postby fishks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:00 am

hi,

I was wondering what I should expect for the conditions on Gray's Peak for this week. This will be me and my friends first 14er. I have searched and had some trouble finding info about the weather for this time of the year. So any info at this point would help a great deal. So far I have just planed on it being very cold; I am from kansas so I have never had to predict for a mountain before.

thanks

Postby rijaca » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:04 am

Postby Joe32 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:07 am

What day are you planning on doing it? I have some friends in from Indiana that I am going to take up one of the easier ones, maybe we could all go as a group?

Postby fishks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:09 am

we are going on friday morning

Postby Scott P » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:11 am

we are going on friday morning

Be aware that there is supposed to be a major snowstorm hitting the Colorado Mountains on Thursday night and Friday. Warnings are out on the radio. Use caution. Might not be the best week for your first 14er.

Postby Joe32 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:32 am

If you change it to Saturday morning let me know, two of us are exp climbers one is a newbie. Do you guys have snow shoes and all of your cold weather gear, because it's not going to be very nice weather Thursday and Friday.

Postby P and P Dad » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:37 am

Loveland ski area is reporting 21 inches of new snow in the past 3 days (4-10-07) and it is dumping more up there as we type.

Take into account that you will be hiking in from I-70 as well.
No Excuses. Your Enemies Won’t Believe Them and Your Friends Don’t Need Them.

Postby fishks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:51 am

yikes, I guess we will need to re-think this one.

anyone have any suggestions of somewhere with good conditions?

Postby fishks » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 am

we are doing pikes peak on friday if anyone wants to join us

Postby strat1080 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:40 am

I don't know if you read Scott Patterson's post but there is a major snow-storm expected to hit Thursday Night and continue for basically all day Friday. The storm is supposed to bring well over a foot of snow to the mountains. The report says about half a foot on Thursday and an additional 1-1.5 feet on Friday. Basically that means that you should stay off Pikes on Friday.

Go to the 14ers.com homepage and click on weather. Click on whatever peak you are interested in climbing and it will tell you the weather to expect. Knowing what the average weather is in April is next to worthless. Anybody who has climbed mountains before knows there is no average weather in the mountains. Average represents a medium ground between the extremes. Chance of precipitation on Friday for Pikes is currently listed as 100%.

Its only supposed to be about 30F for the high in Denver on Friday so you can count on it being no warmer than 10F on Pikes Friday. That is the high so it will likely be even colder than that. I don't know about you but those are no conditions that I would be climbing in, especially as a 1st 14er. It would be wise to move it to Saturday, and even that might be iffy. Are you prepared and adequately equipped for the conditions that are expected? Don't under-estimate the conditions and make sure you are prepared. Knowingly climbing a 14,000 foot peak in blizzard conditions requires the best of equipment.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby Joe32 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:34 am

We are not climbing anything on Friday, maybe, maybe on Saturday if the weather permitts. If you guys can change your day it would be your best bet to summit anything. If you can, let me know and we can all meet up and talk about what conditions look like. Believe me you don't want to be up there if it is going to be like they say it is going to be thursday and friday.

Postby shanahan96 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:52 pm

the weather is supposed to take a turn for the better on sunday. remember saturday drive could be quite icy. nonetheless, you will be faced with some serious postholing no matter what day you climb this weekend.

as for a place with good conditions. it sounds like the whole state is going to get walloped tomorrow and friday. several areas, like the sierra blancas and aspen, have already received some serious snow in the past couple of days. going high this weekend is not a wise choice for your first fourteener experience.

jamie

Next