San Juans/ski conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bhollamby
14ers: 23  9 
13ers: 2 1
Trip Reports (3)

San Juans/ski conditions

Post by bhollamby »

Looking for some info on the San Juans....

Was hoping to ski Uncompahgre this weekend but the weather isn't looking the best.
Anyone been in the area recently??
We are Not Heroes.
I am Not a Legend.
My Passion begins and end in Anonymity.
No one is Ever going to ask for My Signature.
These Efforts won’t earn me a Paycheck.
Our greatest Achievements will be Witnessed by few.
But the reward is Obvious.
------------
Rise up.
Murder the Impossible.
Become Legend.
bjburg
Trip Reports (0)

Re: San Juans/ski conditions

Post by bjburg »

I skied Wetterhorn/Uncomp combo today. Conditions are great spring conditions. Unfortunately for me, they started plowing the Matterhorn Creek road today as I was hiking out. I only made it up from Henson a half mile or so but should great access from near the summer trailhead by the wkd. Talked to the county worker and. Sounds like grizzly is plowed and Nellie will be. You should probably call the county to confirm.

Brad
IronSkiMountaineer
14ers: 21  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by IronSkiMountaineer »

Not to hijack this but I'm heading to the San Juans on Sat afternoon and basecamping/skiing for a few days if anybody wants to join me. Starting in Yankee Boy Basin and possibly headed to Grizzly Gulch after a few days. So yeah, looking for good beta on conditions as well.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Skied the snake on Sneffels on Saturday and Potosi North on Sunday. Both routes were powder, exceptional skiing. Brown frown was creeping up the hillsides a little bit each day. Hopefully a bit of snow falls again this week to cover it back up.
Tim Edinger
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Tim Edinger »

I am not interested in skiing, but I am very interested in the snow conditions in the San Juans in general and the Grenadier Range in particular. I plan to climb Arrow and Vestal Peaks June 13 - 16 and am interested in access along Elk Creek and up to Vestal Lake. Also, from experience, does anyone know whether Wham Ridge holds snow on the face in mid-June. Listen, we all know that "boots on ground" beta is pure gold, so I thank you in advance. I am coming a long way from Washington DC to hit these suckers, so if I need to bring snow shoes, ice axe, and crampons, I will. I just hope someone who has been up there recently (Late-April or early May) can give me some love. Thanks. Happy skiing. Wish I was with you guys.
bjburg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bjburg »

Here's some pics from Wetterhorn and Uncompaghre today: http://skithegarage.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... e.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

Dang, talk about up to date condition response. Thanks bjburg. Now if the weather works into our plan, should be a killer time to hit this area. Anyone want to join us? Will be hitting Uncompaghre/wetterhorn Sunday. Big day.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
IronSkiMountaineer
14ers: 21  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by IronSkiMountaineer »

Ryan, would love to join you! I'm driving out from Minnesota on Thursday night so I'll be behind on acclimatization but I'm skiing Dragon's Tail Friday and Huron Saturday so I'll at least have some altitude under my belt by Sunday. PM me with details?

Steve
hollamby
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

Steve shoot ya a message tonight.

Meant to ask before, snow pretty stable? Much avy activity?

Thanks
Ryan
Edmund Hillary
bjburg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bjburg »

Ryan, Stable. Solid freeze at my camp at 11,700. Winds kept faces from much thaw above 13,000. Down low is getting sloppy, as you'd expect. Have fun!
Brad
hollamby
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

Thanks dude
Edmund Hillary
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Haven't gotten to the Potosi TR yet, but here are the conditions in the Snake last Saturday: http://14erskiers.com/blog/2014/05/mt-s ... -may-2014/