Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering Course or Rock Climbing Course

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby jeffro » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:56 am

msh1064:

From your post, I infer that this is really not what you were considering, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

Many years ago, I went up to Jackson, Wyoming and took a 4 day course with the Exum Guides which included a 2 day ascent of the Grand Teton. At the time, I had already done about 30 of the 14ers, snow couloir climbing, rock climbing up to about 5.6 or 5.7, a lot of backcountry skiing and tons of backpacking and hiking.

What would I gain from a course like that, considering all of my experience? It turns out I came away with far more than I ever thought I would. I remember telling my wife on the phone after the course that despite any of my “perceived” accomplishments prior to that course I was not a climber, but now I believed I could consider myself one.

With Exum, you have the opportunity to learn from some of the worlds foremost climbers and mountaineers. Alex Lowe, Doug Coombs and Conrad Anker guided for Exum. Rolando Garibotti, Peter Carse, Mark Newcomb, Jack Tackle (etc., etc., etc.) still do. There is something intangible and indescribable about tying in to the same rope with someone who was on top of Everest 2 months ago. Sitting around camp or lunch and talking to people whose favorite climb was a first ascent in the Himalayas or a first ascent solo of Alpamayo is an experience I’ll carry with me forever. These folks are very good at building on your strong points and correcting your weak points. Their guiding standards are unmatched in the U.S. and are probably on par with the best in the world.

You’ll learn not only ropework but roped teamwork in a spectacular alpine setting. The Grand Teton itself was a wonderful climb…it should be on anyone’s list who enjoys climbing in the Western U.S.

This course will probably cost you more than you wanted to pay (maybe $800 or so for all 4 days) but for an aspiring mountaineer I can’t think of a better way to spend that amount of money.

If your looking to learn to tie climbing knots, here is a cool website:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexclimbing.php

If your looking for the alpinists experience of a lifetime, check out Exum Guides (no, I’m not on their payroll :wink: :D ).

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!

Postby Darryl Dunlap » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:52 am

msh1064,
If you haven't contacted Los Alamos Mountaineers yet, they are about to start a new class April 2.

http://www.lamonitor.com/articles/2007/ ... ures03.txt
"A great loss of a wonderful person clouds us tonight, Rest In Peace David...."

Postby Speedbird » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:27 am

I really have to agree with Jeffro on the deal with Exum and the Grand Teton(s). The Grand was my first alpine ascent, and a group of three of us from the climbing gym in Nashville ( ....Lordy I miss that place....Hats off to Lance, Drew, and the whole gang....ClimbNashville is TOP notch ) went with Exum Guides for the training course, then the climb of the Grand.

Bottom Line.......would NOT have traded it for anything. You cannot ask for a better, all-around experience than when you combine a climb such as that, with solid, expert folks, and the amazingly beautiful Teton territory.

The only gripe I really had would be the shoving of SOOoo many people into that little hut on the South Saddle. If I had known about THAT detail beforehand, I would have hauled my own tent!!! :shock: :D

Previous