Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What kind of conditioning?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby mainpeak » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:30 pm

I second this frame of thought. If you are already muscular, lay off the weights and work on cardio...preferably by hiking outdoors, running is a close second. Adding muscle to a 230 lb 5'10 frame will NOT make hiking a 14er easier.

Postby Lhotse » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 am

I load a pack full of 2 liter bottles of water. Hike up whatever, dump the water at the top. That way you don't have to carry a heavy load down. No need to train with a heavy pack on the down hill, just ruins your knees. If you live in the northern colorado area, use Long's Peak to train. Start with a small hike in, then keep getting further up the mountain or go to Chasm lake (fantastic area)

Postby gander4 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:53 am

I try to Bar-B-Q at least once a week and drink a 12 pack of beer while listening to Jimmy Buffett. It's a great way to simulate the effects of reduced O2 on the summits.

Postby JOBIE » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:59 am

gander4 wrote:I try to Bar-B-Q at least once a week and drink a 12 pack of beer while listening to Jimmy Buffett. It's a great way to simulate the effects of reduced O2 on the summits.

I have this mastered all ready :D :D

Trying something new...

Thanks for the advise.

Postby kilovictor » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:19 am

If you have access to a chicken farm, get a live chicken and let in loose in a closed off area, then try and catch it. Do this every morning.

Diet is also important. I like to start the day by drinking 8 or 9 raw eggs out of a pitcher for the 2 or 3 days before a big hike.

These worked very well for one of the greatest Heavyweight boxers of our time, Rocky Balboa. I understand he is making a comeback this summer.
"Woof. Woof. Woof, woof, woof."
Rin Tin Tin, 1962

Postby gdthomas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:44 am

Being in good shape isn't a requirement for summiting most of the 14ers. However, physical conditioning is one climbing variable you can control (unlike weather for example). You've been given plenty of ideas for exercise. Pick a couple of them and use the expectation of climbing your first 14er as a springboard for getting into the best shape of your life. You'll climb with greater confidence, enjoy the experience that much more and, in the event you need to summon your physical reserves, you'll have something left in the tank to tap into.

Postby Alex » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:09 pm

JOBIE, I just realized that you live very close both to Boulder and to Estes Park. It means that you have plenty of uphill training opportunities. For instance, drive to Boulder and hike up Sanitas. It is about 1250' elevation gain in a short trail - very good short exersise. BTW, it is already snow-free. Your next step could be Green mtn., Bear Peak after that, but they might be still covered by snow. Those are all in Boulder. Estes Park can offer unlimited number of training opportunities.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!

Postby lurker » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:36 pm

JOBIE,

keep working out as you are doing.
just add a hike each weekend.
arthurs rock, horsetooth, round mountain, twin sisters, estes cone.

work your way up in elevation,

flattop, ypsilon from chapin pass, sniktau and grizzly from loveland pass.
you should aim for 13,000+ a few times and a week prior to cracking 14.

the fittest person can still get AMS.
in fact some of the times I got sick were when I was moving fast and strong on the way up.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir

Previous