NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN - Missing hiker on Mt Harvard/Columbia

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Re: NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN - Missing hiker on Mt Harvard/Colum

Post by DaveSwink »

This is very sad to hear. My condolences to Gene's family.

Woody and Josh, please pass our thanks for your work to your teams.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Condolences to his family and friends....
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I am deeply saddened that Gene remains missing and I offer my condolences to his friends and family. Thanks to the Sheriff's office and the SAR teams that have worked tirelessly the past few days in conducting this search.
dave_navy_VA
14ers: 41 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dave_navy_VA »

Tough news so far for his family, friends and law partners. I was up there the week before and did the two peaks on different days. Some of the recent reporting indicates he may have done the same, or maybe he just altered his plans. He is experienced and there's abundant cause to be optimistic he is safe and will be OK.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... uena-vista
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Sad outcome to this story: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mo ... escue-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Century Bound, eventually.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

I wonder what happened. Interesting that they found him in Early Spring of all times.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
MonGoose
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I wish to offer my condolences to the friends and family of Mr. Gene George. Although we were all praying for a different outcome, I hope the recovery of his body will bring closure to those deeply affected by his disappearance. Rest in peace.
MonGoose
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Dex wrote:It would be interesting to know how far off the standard route he was found.

I'm guessing when they did the search in Sept there wasn't any snow on the ground. So to find the wallet now with all the snow on the ground is strange.
Here's an article I found in a Cleveland newspaper that gives a little more detail. According to the article, yesterday a hiker found Mr. George's wallet about 1/4 of a mile off the trail and turned it over to the county Sheriff. Today they performed a search and successfully located the body in the vicinity where the wallet was found. I agree that it is strange that his wallet was found during the season with the highest snowpack during an above average snowfall year.

http://www.cleveland.com/bay-village/in ... g_bay.html
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Pure speculation, but depending on the aspect and it's proximity to treeline, this time if year may have been the perfect time to make the discovery. Summer routes are just that. Anyone climbing at this time if year may intend to follow the summer trail, but will likely end up straying from it at some point, if not several.

Sad news, but at least his family may find peace.
Go get it