Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backpack AND 14er Recommendation?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Aubrey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Based on your time and what you're asking, you probably have multiple options ... but I immediately thought of Holy Cross. Last summer I climbed it in a day ... but I think it would make an enjoyable 3-day excursion. The area is beautiful and not overly crowded. Plenty of campsites, too.

If you're interested, here's my trip report:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain

A lot of people camp near the creek, but we passed some tents much higher up on the mountain -- some were just below treeline. If it were me, I wouldn't want to huff all that gear up there, though. And it would be nice to be near a water source.

At any rate, Mt. of the Holy Cross might be just what you're looking for. Arrive at DIA Thursday (in the am, hopefully) and pick up a rental car. Spend some hours driving to the trailhead. Hike over the first hump and down to the creek and make camp before the sun goes down. Friday: start early, summit and get back down to camp by lunchtime. Hang out and enjoy nature. Saturday morning hike back to the car. Drive back to a hotel in Denver and drink some beer. Sunday morning drive to DIA.

Postby hikerguy0 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks for the tip about classes of terrain. Big issue to say the least. I see http://www.14ers.com/classes.html on this site and it's not far off from my understanding, although I would have said rope mandatory on a class four. I posted another topic on the forum, so maybe "in many counselors, wisdom." Thanks again.

Postby hikerguy0 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:01 am

Thanks for the pointer to the trip report. That sounds about like what I'm looking for. I WILL check it out.

Postby strat1080 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:44 am

I did Holy Cross back in 2005. We hiked up to the high-point before the drop down to the creek. We set-up camp here and did Holy Cross the next day from there. Its definitely a pretty long hike with some nice elevation gain overall due to the up and down nature of the trail.

The Belford, Oxford, Missouri combination is also a nice trip. I hiked up to Missouri gulch and setup camp here. It is a really beautiful area. I did all three mountains on the same day and it was quite a challenge. I think that Roach says that doing the 3 is something like 6,500 ft of elevation gain. It was definitely pretty tough. If you do Missouri from the other 2 the trail(if you could call it that) is pretty loose and miserable. The standard route up Missouri might be better but it takes you a long ways away from Belford and Oxford. Those 2 mountains were really quite easy, which is why I felt the need to continue on to Missouri.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Previous