Pikes Peak Winter Ascent?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ralph
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pikes Peak Winter Ascent?

Post by ralph »

This is the best way to go….The Y Couloir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emS2bnGFnoE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Chefrel found that the quickest way off of the mountain was in a Blackhawk chopper. Be sure to follow the karens.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

My wife and I climb Pikes at least once each winter simply via the Barr trail, sometimes staying at Barr camp for the night to break up the climb, sometimes just stopping in for a snack/hot tea/gatorade. Having Barr camp right at the half way point makes for a reasonable climb given the otherwise daunting 25 miles 7500 vertical. If you're lucky and the train is running and the top is open, even better. given the traffic, the Barr trail is usually in decent shape all winter, just bring microspikes (given the packed trail, never needed snowshoes).
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

You could crash the add-a-man douche bag party on the 1st :lol:

I shouldn't hate, they probably pretty cool guys.

http://www.adaman.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Not sure where the douche-bag comment comes from, but really, you don't want to climb Pikes then... quite a zoo I understand. The new folks at Barr camp are awesome, by the way, Anthony and... crap, I forget her name, but super cool couple. Go to barrcamp.com and send them an email and when best to come if you want to do the overnight at Barr thing. What can I say, Pikes via Barr is easily our favorite winter 14er climb, GREAT workout plus having a place to rest and warm up at both ways (and sometimes at the top!) is awesome. As others have said, don't count on the top being open.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

what is the deal with this barr camp?

They have some cabins? Year round?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

climbing_rob wrote:The new folks at Barr camp are awesome, by the way, Anthony and... crap, I forget her name...
Renee.
And yes, the two of them are awesome and they're a great fit for Barr Camp. I had the pleasure of meeting them last week when we spent the night.
Greenhouseguy wrote:Chefrel found that the quickest way off of the mountain was in a Blackhawk chopper. Be sure to follow the karens.
If I recall, that wasn't a quick way! It was an overnight unplanned bivy (without a bivy sack). BTW, Chefrel is a good guy. I climbed with him after that incident and thought he was an interesting person with passion for the hills.

Jibler, yes, there's a camp on the E side and there's a website you can visit for more info. http://barrcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:You could crash the add-a-man douche bag party on the 1st
climbing_rob wrote:Not sure where the douche-bag comment comes from . . .
Let me give you a hint, Bob.

In my thread that attempted to show that climbing is more dangerous than driving based upon personal experiences, he said "What an awful thread." (http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=12). When I read his comment -- which does have some merit because the poll did involve the "awful" subject matter of death -- I thought I might be dealing with a person who has high standards of what is acceptable and unacceptable on the Internet. Fair enough.

But now I know otherwise.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

DArcyS wrote:
FireOnTheMountain wrote:You could crash the add-a-man douche bag party on the 1st
climbing_rob wrote:Not sure where the douche-bag comment comes from . . .
Let me give you a hint, Bob.

In my thread that attempted to show that climbing is more dangerous than driving based upon personal experiences, he said "What an awful thread." (http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=12). When I read his comment -- which does have some merit because the poll did involve the "awful" subject matter of death -- I thought I might be dealing with a person who has high standards of what is acceptable and unacceptable on the Internet. Fair enough.

But now I know otherwise.
I was in the wrong, I apologize. Didn't realize they are a tribute.

Just seems a little pretentious. I did qualify my statement if you read that they are probably cool people.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

DArcyS wrote:In my thread that attempted to show that climbing is more dangerous than driving based upon personal experiences, he said "What an awful thread."
He wasn't the only one that took issue with the thread...
FireOnTheMountain wrote:I was in the wrong, I apologize. Didn't realize they are a tribute.
Everyone makes mistakes. Done.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
DArcyS wrote:

Just seems a little pretentious. I did qualify my statement if you read that they are probably cool people.
Fair enough, Abe. For what it's worth, I'll look at people's profiles to assess their background try to further characterize their comment. My assessment of you is that you're a bright guy and a talented climber. Carry on . . .
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

DArcyS wrote:
FireOnTheMountain wrote:

Fair enough, Abe. For what it's worth, I'll look at people's profiles to assess their background try to further characterize their comment. My assessment of you is that you're a bright guy and a talented climber. Carry on . . .
Confrontation done classy, even by 14er.com standards. =D> =D>

Now, about abandoning your dog on a 14er...................