Pikes Peak Winter Ascent?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Pikes Peak Winter Ascent?

Post by jibler »

Anyone have experiences? Seems like it might be possible before the end of the year - as long as we don't get a huge snow storm in before.

But I don't like snow shoes or gear in general. Seems like Pikes Peak would likely be fairly windswept anyway right?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Pikes Peak Winter Ascent?

Post by SurfNTurf »

I've done it from Crags in late November and as a February winter ascent. It depends on the current conditions, but you might need snowshoes below treeline. The odds of having a boot-packed trail are fairly high, as the area sees a good amount of traffic. Above treeline will almost definitely be wind-scoured. I left my snowshoes in the car both times and didn't regret it.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

EDIT- I did Pikes from Crags solo two years ago in January. Once you get to the Devil's Playground, it's pretty much all windblown and straightforward the remainder of the way to the summit. With that in mind, it's a LONG time to be above treeline with a ton of wind right in your face. The portion up to treeline was pretty well packed down, then near treeline there were tons of snowshoe and skin tracks that went in every direction. Although I'd summitted Pikes before in July, I couldn't figure out which way to go. I ended up post holing through some sketchy terrain and hooked back up with the main trail just below Devil's Playground. On my way down, ALL footprints and ski tracks had been filled in by snow, and I was left struggling to find my way back into the woods while post holing waist to chest deep at some points. It was pretty miserable. I knew which direction I needed to go and I knew exactly where the car was located down at the Crags trailhead, I just couldn't find a safe way to get there.

That said, make sure you bring a GPS so that you can stay on the main trail. I make maps for a living and I am a badass with my sense of direction, but even the topo I had with me was worthless. Just because you get up it doesn't mean it's going to be easy to follow bootprints all the way down. I learned a LOT on the mountain that day, and Pikes taught me a lesson in humility and stupidity. Don't take it lightly just because it's a walk up in the summer. 13 miles roundtrip with tons of post holing is a LOT more taxing than it is in the summer.

Have fun, and try not to make the same mistakes I did :)
Last edited by eskermo on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Good info. I'm already getting the cabin fever and we're not even to winter yet!

This could be a good excursion to wrap up the year?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

You would think a badass that makes maps for a living would know the Garden of the Gods is not near the Crags route on PP.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Though it does explain the routefinding difficulties. ;-)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

He probably means, "Devil's Playground".
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Right?! What a moron!
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

So is it just total weak sauce to already be pondering taking the train down??
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Don't rely on the train in the winter, the snow often prevents the train from reaching the summit. Not saying you can't use that option, just have an alternate plan too.

Aren't you starting at the Crags? It's probably easier to just walk back to the Crags than to figure out the logistics of getting from Manitou Springs back to your car at the Crags.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

jibler wrote:So is it just total weak sauce to already be pondering taking the train down??
That's one way to avoid getting lost on the descent! ;)
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

I did a solo trip up Pikes via Crags this past Feb 23rd. 4wd was necessary to get to the upper trailhead that day. The trail was well packed and flotation was not necessary on the ascent, I carried snowshoes all day. The only other people I saw all day turned around just above treeline. It was pretty windswept, but often the easiest course of travel was the road...albiet longer. Any exposed skin would have been toast, so I had all that gear on. Obviously the train, road, summit shop were all closed. I short-cutted through the angled snow covered talus on the way down from the summit to a lower switchback on the road, but it was nerve-racking, as I would have been toast with a busted ankle...my phone died in cold temps.

I raced to beat the incoming snowstorm before it removed all trace of the trench through the trees, but I was too late...the trail was gone. So in a snowstorm, in the trees, with a compass and NatGeo map I had the first true test of my navigations skills. I really thought I was going to over shoot the TH and end up back at a highway well after dark. But I found a sign lower down, then a bridge, and I got back to my car just after dark.

So anyways, good luck and take care!
Shawn