Yale via Denny Creek TH in Winter?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Yale via Denny Creek TH in Winter?

Post by Svenski Norski »

Does anyone have any ideas about the avvy safety, or lack of, by this route? I may go up to treeline soon to scope it out...
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Yale via Denny Creek TH in Winter?

Post by Monster5 »

I agree with above that Avalanche Gulch is safer and one must cross the very terminus of one runout zone as well as a a fairly low hazard path via Denny.

However, if the road is open, the avy danger on the rebuilt standard route is easy to avoid/assess and generally pretty safe this time of year. Also makes for a quicker route, sans trench poach.

I would not recommend short-cutting the section around treeline where the trail continues north through trees next to a smaller drainage (slog) prior to heading south. Short-cutting this section in the tree-less area (old trail/road in a slide path) would put you in avy terrain. The small drainage can also slide with significant accumulation. The rib above treeline is wind blown to the blocky talus summit push.

Basically, follow the new route mapped on this site. Naturally, use your own map reading and your own assessments and all that good stuff. An experienced party with good avy observation skills should be able to do this route, or near to it, safely in all but extreme conditions.

I also think the south ridge via Mascot would be fine. One questionable slope around treeline on Mascot. Bit of a narcissistic leg burner route though.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
fakejox
14ers: 58  2  13 
13ers: 43 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fakejox »

I've also heard that avalanche gulch is the way to go in winter. I bailed on the Denny Creek approach last January due to some sketch slide potential just below treeline…
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart." -- Camus
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Avalanche gulch is definitely the way to go. It's on my list for this winter and have been staring at it for a while. Hit me up if you think about bagging come January
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

Thanks for all the beta-
I'm likin' this Avalanche gulch idea, now that I see the map. I guess the name threw me.
Saves a couple miles of icy road, too.
Got some unfinished business with Simmons Peak (12,050') and then I might head up.
Happy trails-
Drew
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Avalanche Gulch is avvy-savvy? I've never considered that route for winter. Don't some pretty massive cornices build up between Yale and Mascot? Anyway, that's an interesting winter route I hadn't heard of before.

You could also consider the east ridge. I always assumed that was the safest winter route on Yale, and it's a lot of fun.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Exiled Michigander wrote:Avalanche Gulch is avvy-savvy? I've never considered that route for winter. Don't some pretty massive cornices build up between Yale and Mascot? Anyway, that's an interesting winter route I hadn't heard of before.

You could also consider the east ridge. I always assumed that was the safest winter route on Yale, and it's a lot of fun.
I think all the previous references to the Avalanche Gulch route actually mean the east ridge route using the Avalanche Gulch TH.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

rijaca wrote:
Exiled Michigander wrote:Avalanche Gulch is avvy-savvy? I've never considered that route for winter. Don't some pretty massive cornices build up between Yale and Mascot? Anyway, that's an interesting winter route I hadn't heard of before.

I think all the previous references to the Avalanche Gulch route actually mean the east ridge route using the Avalanche Gulch TH.
Ahhhh, that makes sense!