NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
IRTV
Trip Reports (0)

Re: NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Post by IRTV »

Tortoise1 wrote:The mystery of it is just maddening. How could two experienced hikers just disappear into thin air like that, at virtually the same time.
As sad as this is and our thoughts go out to his family... I guess this reminds us to let people know where we think we will be hiking or climbing so SAR knows where to look. Please keep Mark and Michelle and their children, Mark's family; Brian, Leslie and Veronica and Mark's mom in our thoughts and prayers. God, please bring Mark home to his family... Custer County SAR, thank you for all you do!
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Tortoise1 wrote:The mystery of it is just maddening. How could two experienced hikers just disappear into thin air like that, at virtually the same time.
Two hikers? I thought that only one hiker was missing in this case?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

djkest wrote:
Two hikers? I thought that only one hiker was missing in this case?
One in the Crestones, one in the Sawatch.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
WesternKS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WesternKS »

Memorial Service

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/denver ... =168124679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WesternKS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WesternKS »

A memorial service was held yesterday in Denver for Mark Stice, who set out to climb the Crestones in mid-September
and never returned. He leaves behind a wife and two young daughters. Words cannot express the sadness.

I read once that when we lose someone the relationship with them isn't over, it just changes. The memories we created with
them and the love we had for them live on in us. I pray that as time passes his family will find strength and peace in those memories.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

WesternKS wrote:A memorial service was held yesterday in Denver for Mark Stice, who set out to climb the Crestones in mid-September
and never returned. He leaves behind a wife and two young daughters. Words cannot express the sadness.

I read once that when we lose someone the relationship with them isn't over, it just changes. The memories we created with
them and the love we had for them live on in us. I pray that as time passes his family will find strength and peace in those memories.
Thank you for the updates, and I am again sorry for the loss of Mark. I sincerely hope you and Mark's family can find peace, whether it being 2 months or 20 years from now, over his passing.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

The thought of those two little girls losing their dad really pains me.
please rotate your device