Elk range 13er suggestions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Elk range 13er suggestions?

Post by ahrendse »

I am going to be in the Aspen area this week and would like to spend a day (either Thursday or Friday) hiking an Elk Range 13er. If possible, I would like to keep the difficulty to Class 3 or less with minimal avy risk. I drive a Rav4 with good tires but am not sure how accessible the Elk THs are this time of year.

Right now, Baldy Mnt A and UN13244 are on my radar.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated!
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Elk range 13er suggestions?

Post by Scott P »

It's just under 13K, but Sopris should be a reasonable choice if you stay on route. If you stay on route, almost all of the avalanche danger is avoidable. I'm not sure what the current road conditions are, but I have driven to near the trailhead in December.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

ahrendse wrote: Right now, Baldy Mnt A and UN13244 are on my radar.
Those would be doable, but I'm not sure if you would need a Snowmass ski pass or not. The way to approach these, would be from the ridge along Snowmass ski resort. Bill's new Google Maps interface is amazing!
Attachments
Baldy Mnt A and UN13244
Baldy Mnt A and UN13244
elk_13ers-1.jpg (330.68 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Electric Pass Peak might be "OK". The approach would be the problem. I'm not sure how much the slope above the trail will wind load, as it's definitely steep enough to slide. Here's a summer photo from Cathedral lake looking at Electric Pass on left and Leahy on right. The trail approach takes you below those steep slopes on the right. I think the road closes at the dirt road to Castle, so it should be accessible. (More photos/maps)

Otherwise, most other 13ers in the Elks seem to be in prime Avy territory...
Attachments
Electric Pass Peak
Electric Pass Peak
elk_13ers-2.jpg (198.16 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
JEyez
14ers: 28 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JEyez »

The road to Sopris TH was good as of a week ago. Pretty sure the same conditions exist today. I highly recommend Sopris right now. Easy (albeit long) snow hike. Didn't see a soul all day.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

bergsteigen wrote:Electric Pass Peak might be "OK"....
Had to cross one slide path and detour south last winter. Personally, top 3 in the Worst Slog Ever category, but probably not nearly as bleh at the moment.

Track by SarahT:
DONTHIKETHISIWARNEDYOU
DONTHIKETHISIWARNEDYOU
epp.jpg (133.49 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Monster5 wrote:Personally, top 3 in the Worst Slog Ever category, but probably not nearly as bleh at the moment.
But I hear the sunset from the summit is beautiful this time of year.. :-"