Alternate Shavano route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ajd2352
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Alternate Shavano route

Post by ajd2352 »

So I'm planning on doing a peak this Sunday but having a hard time choosing one. I'm heavily leaning on Shavano from the Angel of Shavano trail to reduce avy danger. However, looking at the trail on Google earth I'm a little concerned with the part of the trail in the "body of the angel." The trail itself is below the recommended 30 degree slope but it's in the middle of a "chute" where both sides are well above 30 degrees - I'm a little worried about getting buried by a slide coming from the side and not so much by starting one. So I was wondering if I could follow the ridge from the east instead of going by the standard route or through the Angel's body. I know that's officially off trail but on paper it appears safer. What your thoughts?
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Alternate Shavano route

Post by Yikes »

I have been up these three alternate routes in various snow conditions. I've been thinking about Blue for a winter attempt since it usually has much less snow cover. Orange probably has more snow around treeline. Red has a slope near treeline that made me a bit nervous.
200804_Shav01a.jpg
200804_Shav01a.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Not that any of these are necessarily "safe", but I probably wouldn't head up the Angel mid-winter if the conditions were questionable.
ajd2352
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajd2352 »

Yikes wrote:I have been up these three alternate routes in various snow conditions. I've been thinking about Blue for a winter attempt since it usually has much less snow cover. Orange probably has more snow around treeline. Red has a slope near treeline that made me a bit nervous.
200804_Shav01a.jpg
Not that any of these are necessarily "safe", but I probably wouldn't head up the Angel mid-winter if the conditions were questionable.
How/where do you start the blue and orange possibilities?
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

ajd2352 wrote:How/where do you start the blue and orange possibilities?
Angel of Shavano TH, bushwhack straight up from the parking lot.
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

On a recent trip up Esp/Shav/Tab I had noted that the East Ridge (orange) route up Esprit looked very doable... Have fun, be safe!
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I'm a little curious why you would take the Angel this time of year - there's a lot of unconsolidated snow at the moment - this could mean a huge slog in the Angel itself, or a potential to trigger an avalanche while in it. I'd be a little worried by it, seeing how things are here in Breck. The standard route still crosses it, as a potentially dangerous slope.

Here's a little more description of the, "Orange" (i think?) route:

http://www.summitpost.org/southeast-rid ... int/158242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks fun and long! And long!
ajd2352
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajd2352 »

If I do this peak I will not be taking the standard route, it will be along one of the routes given by "yikes" above for the very reasons you mentioned. The "blue" route is the one I'm leaning towards.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Last winter I parked at the Angel of Shavano TH and went up over "Espirit Point" then to Shavano, Tab and back. This avoided all avy danger and didn't even require snowshoes. The route is very steep with no trail and took most of a day. This route is a safe solo outing in poor snow conditions.