What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cybrhikr
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by cybrhikr »

The Kings's Deception by Steve Berry. Very good,hard to put down.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

What has that Dan Simmons fellow been smoking?
please rotate your device
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

He does live in Colorado. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

"The Mountain" by Ed Viesturs. Most of the way through it, lots of Everest history plus Viesturs' experiences on it. Great book if you're an Everest junkie or if you've never read a single book on Everest.

Edit to add: Book review if you're interested: http://14erskiers.com/blog/2013/12/book ... -mountain/
Last edited by gb on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BB_ME
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BB_ME »

"Goedel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid," by Douglas R. Hofstadter. Loosely about the nature of consciousness, I've been reading this fascinating, cute, difficult book for the last month. Parenthetically, do book reviewers actually read the tomes they review from cover to cover?
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

"Hot, Flat, and Crowded" by Thomas Friedman - an interesting and thought-provoking manifesto of arguments on the issues surrounding climate change and how a clean energy revolution can bring back a sustainable America.
EZSide
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by EZSide »

Rocky Mountains by David Muench ... I'm just looking at the pictures .... I stumbled upon it in a library closeout and it was like finding a box of old Playboys :-D
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
opticstalk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by opticstalk »

Shattered Consensus: The True State of Global Warming
and
Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity

I like to read "both sides" then make up my own mind.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

"The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science," by Natalie Angier.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Last year, Patagonia books gave us the opportunity to give away one of their books. Jim Davies won Fred Beckey's 100 Favorite North American Climbs. This year, Patagonia will be giving away Climbing Fitz Roy, 1968 through my website. Sorry if this whole post seems spammy, but it's really a nice book and I want as many people as possible to have the chance to win it. I guarantee the odds are better than tonight's mega millions jackpot. Just click here to enter: http://14erskiers.com/blog/2013/12/free ... -roy-1968/
WarDamnPanic
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

Just finished The Mountain by Ed Viesturs, now reading Freedom Climbers. Both are good not great
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Just finished The White Spider, Heinrich Harrer. Kind of a classic read.

I tried reading Viester's "No Shortcuts to the Top", but I found his writing style - and basically his whole persona (saw him at the Tattered Cover) so squeaky clean as to not feel very honest. His Q&A seemed pretty polished, and not so spontaneous. I didn't get much of a feel of, "struggle". I like a little bit more romanticizin' in my writing.

Some of other books en route: Epic Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peaks - mostly a collection of excerpts from other famous books, like Annapurna - a good survey, for sure. Some of the stories are much better than others. It's funny how the, "big huge snowclimb" narrative sort of repeats itself.

The High Lonesome: Epic Solo Climbing Stories, edited by John Long - very similar to Epic, except most of these are self-contained short stories. Good read, though. Some crazy fuckers out there.

Out of sheer hilarity, I purchased a copy of, Speed Climbing!, 2nd: How to Climb Faster and Better - maybe because of it being co-written by Bill Wright. It still has some interesting ideas in it.