How's the Sawatch lookin?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Re: How's the Sawatch lookin?

Post by ahrendse »

I'm planning on Shav/Tab on Saturday. I'm thinking of making it a loop by combining the nearby 13ers ("Esprit", UN13712, Jones Pk). Let me know if you're interested.
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
MichiganBrian
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MichiganBrian »

I'll be up with one other on Antero Saturday should anyone want to join that.
Thedudedenver9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Thedudedenver9 »

Is be up for Antero. Do you have plans in mind as far as meetup ideas, carpooling?
mbird
14ers: 25  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbird »

Just a heads up - we're getting hammered with snow right now and it's forecast to continue through Saturday and Sunday. You can't even see the mountains from the highway and it's safe to say conditions might not be the best for hiking this weekend. Skiing, on the other hand, is another matter entirely - Monarch Mountain is opening on Saturday.
MichiganBrian
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MichiganBrian »

Thedudedenver9 wrote:Is be up for Antero. Do you have plans in mind as far as meetup ideas, carpooling?
We're thinking about audibling to something a little less stormy and clsoer tomorrow...potentially the 13ers near Guanella pass (Argentine, etc.)
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

mbird wrote:Just a heads up - we're getting hammered with snow right now and it's forecast to continue through Saturday and Sunday
Yeah, tell me about it. Here's a picture I took driving into Salida a few hours ago...
snowing outside
snowing outside
snow.JPG (4.36 KiB) Viewed 464 times
I did get some practice driving down the road sideways.
swinginstyle
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swinginstyle »

What are you planning on doing then? I was planning on Shavano/Tabeguache tomorrow, but with the weather news and personal reports, I'm having second thoughts. My brother is in town to climb 14ers. Anyone have recommendations for alternatives?
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ahrendse »

swinginstyle wrote:What are you planning on doing then? I was planning on Shavano/Tabeguache tomorrow, but with the weather news and personal reports, I'm having second thoughts. My brother is in town to climb 14ers. Anyone have recommendations for alternatives?
I'm also bailing on Shav/Tab. The weather looks better in the front range (although still not great) but it looks like you've already done those 14ers. I'm planning on doing a few 13ers near G&T (Square Top, Argentine, Wilcox). You're more than welcome to join if you can't find a 14er to do.
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

No Sawatch tomorrow.....? Ohh well that sucks! What else to climb?
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

4 are doing Mt Arkansas tmrw. Meeting at TH just south of Fremont Pass/Climax mine at 7am if interested. PM if interested.
swinginstyle
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swinginstyle »

ahrendse wrote:
swinginstyle wrote:What are you planning on doing then? I was planning on Shavano/Tabeguache tomorrow, but with the weather news and personal reports, I'm having second thoughts. My brother is in town to climb 14ers. Anyone have recommendations for alternatives?
I'm also bailing on Shav/Tab. The weather looks better in the front range (although still not great) but it looks like you've already done those 14ers. I'm planning on doing a few 13ers near G&T (Square Top, Argentine, Wilcox). You're more than welcome to join if you can't find a 14er to do.
Thanks, looks like I'll also be doing those mountains
wolfgangstiller
14ers: 58 
13ers: 103
Trip Reports (4)

Post by wolfgangstiller »

Does anyone have an update on the 390 to Winfield? How much of the 390 is still passable? Considering doing the SW ridge to La Plata on Black Friday but want to make it at least to Winfield via Subaru Outback.