Questions about Humbolt, Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Michaeldadof4
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Questions about Humbolt, Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle

Post by Michaeldadof4 »

Planning a July 2014 trip and thinking about Humbolt, Crestone Peak, and Crestone Needle. I want something that will provide the opportunity to hike in, camp for a week, and summit a few 14ers. Our group will consist of a rookie and three others with 14er experience. I did Kit Carson via Willow Creek approach a few years ago and the mosquitos almost killed us. It was a very unpleasant week to say the least. My question is this; are mosquitos always that bad in the Sangre de Cristo range of was my Kit Carson experience a freak occurrence? Been in the Sawatch and Front ranges many times and have never seen a mosquito. Just don't want a repeat of my Kit Carson trip.
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Questions about Humbolt, Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle

Post by Skip Perkins »

Just anecdotal: At Willow Lake I was eaten alive by hordes of mosquitos and on the east side of the mountains there were very few. The east side is dryer thus less bugs.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I've camped in South Colony Lakes many times, and don't recall any mosquitos. The worst mosquitos I've encountered on any 14er backpack were at Lake Como, though, so Skip might be on to something. :-k
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Mosquitos are hit or miss in Colorado, mostly misses thankfully. But when conditions are right, you can be carried away.

Dave
onebyone
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

If it's breezy, no mosquitoes. If the air is still, then definitely mosquitoes. This is why when you go to a place one time, there seems to be no mosquitoes and another time, there is a ton. Upper South Colony lake camping has more open terrain than Willow lake, which means it's usually a little more breezy there. And if you're climbing 14ers, you'll be in higher and drier terrain for much of the day, so no mosquitoes. And if you bag a peak earlier enough, I would suggest simply taking your time returning to camp (which tends to have more mosquitoes) and just enjoy the amazing views. You really feel like a mountaineer in the south colony lake area in my opinion- amazing views, especially from Crestone Peak (better than he Needle I think).
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Jim Davies wrote:I've camped in South Colony Lakes many times, and don't recall any mosquitos.
Same, in late June, and the air way dead still.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Mosquitos are bad for a 2-4 week period after the snows melt. It varies in severity from year to year, possibly based on how recently the lakes have been seeded with fish. By mid July they should be gone.
Michaeldadof4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Michaeldadof4 »

Thanks for the info. I think we will give it a shot. On to another question: what is your opinion on wearing a helmet on Crestone Needle and Peak? What about Kit Carson?
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Class 3+ wear a helmet and solid shoes. The one time you stray from the rule you might pay the price. It took me a while to realize it's not about your comfort on rock but the fact that you never know who's above you on the route
Michaeldadof4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Michaeldadof4 »

forbins_mtn wrote:Class 3+ wear a helmet and solid shoes. The one time you stray from the rule you might pay the price. It took me a while to realize it's not about your comfort on rock but the fact that you never know who's above you on the route
By solid shoes do you mean approach shoes?
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Something that offers ankle support and protection to the toe box.
onebyone
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Funny because we had quite a few mosquitoes but that's how these forums work- everybody has a different experience. I just wanted to add that there also quite a few very large white mosquitoes about that can be quite pesky. These mosquitoes also seem to be resistant to breezy conditions too.