Palm Springs C2C hike

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dleebuddy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Palm Springs C2C hike

Post by dleebuddy »

When I read "C2C" I initially translated that to "Sea to Sea". At the risk of digressing.....Does anyone know of big vertical climbs that start at a sea (like the beach) and return there as well? I see the post about Badwater to Telescope (bonus points for below sea level!).

Hikes in Hawaii spring to mind; Alaska as well.

Thoughts?
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Back to San J.
By verticle releif I was not referring to prominence.
That has been debated to death.
I mean the foot of the mountain to the peak.
Whitney would be well under 10k.
I do not start from some arbitrary point 50 or 100 miles away.
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndyJB444 »

bonehead wrote:Back to San J.
Would Telescope Peak from Shorty's qualify as arbitrary? Its 11,300ft of gain.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Always interested to learn something new.
Thanks for expanding my horizon.
Pat
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

bonehead wrote:Back to San J.
I'm not referring to prominence either, but I think you're confusing "vertical relief" w/ ORS (Spire Measure): http://www.peaklist.org/spire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Vertical relief", on the other hand, is the "quantitative measurement of vertical elevation change in a landscape. It is the difference between maximum and minimum elevations within a given area..."

The given area in this example is the 3.1 million square miles of the "lower 48."

So, the answer to "wouldn't Mount Rainier have the greatest vertical relief in the lower 48?" is "No. Badwater Basin to Mt. Whitney the greatest vertical relief in the lower 48." Being the highest/lowest points this, truely, is a no-brainer.

I think the question thats meant to be asked is "What TH-to-summit trail covers the most vertical relief?" and I don't know the answer to that question.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

Not in the lower 48, but...

Icy Bay (0') to Mount St. Elias (18,008'), in 10 miles.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Hey longpine.
Can't just take my word for what I mean?
Twisting words is a no win game.
Anal got nothing on you.
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

bonehead wrote:Hey longpine.
Can't just take my word for what I mean?
Twisting words is a no win game.
Anal got nothing on you.
No. You're trying to assign your own meaning to terms while also offering "corrections" to those who, for the sake of coherency, conform to the established vernacular.

If you're concerned that your words are being twisted then I encourage you to know what it is you want to say, and to employ the appropriate words.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

tlongpine wrote:"What TH-to-summit trail covers the most vertical relief?" and I don't know the answer to that question.
You use the same words as I
yet you pounce on me.
Give it up.
No points here to be scored.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I haven't done it, but very much want to! There are only a couple of legit, commonly accepted routes that have a gross and net 10k gain and that can be done in a day. Besides C2C, there's Shorty's Well up Telescope, and the trail up Haleakala (on which Kimo wrote an amazing TR--this one's probably best done as a multi-day trip though). There's also one up White Mountain Peak, but I haven't heard of many people doing it, and it looks less exciting.

With C2C, the best time of year to hit it undoubtedly seems to be around October, perhaps a bit later in the year if the summit's received minimal/no snow. I hear there's a section shortly before the tram that often ices over in winter/spring, and where a slip could be fatal, so that's something to keep in mind.

For those who haven't been to the area, the vertical relief of these peaks is just stunning--picture Mt. Evans looming right above Denver with no intervening foothills, then add another thousand or two feet to the top. From atop higher neighboring San Gorgonio (11,400'), you can look down into the Salton Sea basin, which is 200' below sea level. Barring perhaps Rainier or Adams, and (almost) Telescope there's virtually nowhere else in the lower 48 you can encounter such a significant drop from the summit of a mountain.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

bonehead wrote:
tlongpine wrote:"What TH-to-summit trail covers the most vertical relief?" and I don't know the answer to that question.
You use the same words as I
yet you pounce on me.
Give it up.
No points here to be scored.
Yes.
But in the correct context.
Not trying to score points.
Trying to prevent confusion.

Bonehead.
Suddenly
the name makes sense.
Epiphany.

painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

[-X :yawn: Now, now you guys. Simmer down. Let's try to stay on subject here.

Remember Boney:

Longpiney is in Public Affairs

Masters of Spin, Inc.

You. Can't. Win.

](*,)
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9