Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Dakota »

Bean wrote:
Dakota007 wrote: feed the the mash with hops.
That is not how brewing works.
Like I said, I have been there and seen it with my own eyes. That IS how brewing works when you make a Dogfish head brew in their brewery. Here is the video to help you with this concept. Unless you were just wondering why I didn't say wort instead thinking of my mash tun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0lXC8m3tnA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bean wrote:That said, my favorite beer is one of my own. Hard to pick which one though.
Good, that makes it the best, most fun and entertaining way to acquire beer. As a homebrewer myself, I think mine are decent (probably not favorite) because I understand that brewing, though incredibly simple in this day and age, really only comes down to proper sanitation and temperatures. I'm hoping to give my first crack at a Lager this winter, and I don't know if it will work out since I will have to use a slightly heated garage as my cold controlled temperature.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
Dakota
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

I had this the other day and it was interesting, good, and worth trying once.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16 ... t&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Albert Einstein
talamo71
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by talamo71 »

I hate Beer, and this thread has become really annoying because it's hanging around like an ex-girlfriend.

I'd rather a Brandy or a Whiskey.

After hiking, however, just water or chocolate milk.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Dakota007 wrote:Unless you were just wondering why I didn't say wort instead thinking of my mash tun.
This. I was just being pedantic. I've actually made a 60 Minute clone that turned out fairly well, though I didn't have any fancy contraption for constant additions.

I need to check the temperature that my garage ends up in the colder months, I too have never done a lager. Would be nice to have a good marzen come March or so.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

Bean wrote: I need to check the temperature that my garage ends up in the colder months, I too have never done a lager. Would be nice to have a good marzen come March or so.
Dakota007 wrote: Good, that makes it the best, most fun and entertaining way to acquire beer. As a homebrewer myself, I think mine are decent (probably not favorite) because I understand that brewing, though incredibly simple in this day and age, really only comes down to proper sanitation and temperatures. I'm hoping to give my first crack at a Lager this winter, and I don't know if it will work out since I will have to use a slightly heated garage as my cold controlled temperature.

If you guys are serious about making great beer, one of the best investments you could possibly make is a 5 cu chest freezer and temperature controller. The quality difference is amazing plus you could do lagers year round. IMO fermentation temp control is one of the first upgrades a person should make, it's all about keeping the yeast happy.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
Bean
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

kansas wrote:If you guys are serious about making great beer, one of the best investments you could possibly make is a 5 cu chest freezer and temperature controller. The quality difference is amazing plus you could do lagers year round. IMO fermentation temp control is one of the first upgrades a person should make, it's all about keeping the yeast happy.
I know I'd be best off to get one, it's just not critical where I am right now. I don't generally care about lagers, but I'm reasonably sure my car-hole will be appropriate for it over the winter so why not. I've got a room in the basement that stays in the low-60s most of the time, between that, a couple wet t-shirts, and a small space heater, I was able to keep a couple carboys at the exact temperature I wanted over the past week. It's certainly a bit more work than just setting a temperature controller and walking away, but it works.

Home Depot has a nice GE 7cu.ft. model that's on sale occasionally and works out to ~$185 delivered, I got one for actual chest-freezer use but plan to get another and make it in to a keezer/fermentation chamber whenever time/money/interest allows.
Dakota
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

kansas wrote:
If you guys are serious about making great beer, one of the best investments you could possibly make is a 5 cu chest freezer and temperature controller. The quality difference is amazing plus you could do lagers year round. IMO fermentation temp control is one of the first upgrades a person should make, it's all about keeping the yeast happy.
Yeah, all I have right now is a basement and main floor that give me about a 5-7 F temp variable year round (65-72). A freezer would be great to do it in.

To contribute to the favorite beer aspect of this forum, it is Christmas season and time for spice and pine needle flavored beers!

-Albert Einstein
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

And since it's beard season, I offer you this. Surprisingly good if you like wild ales.

"Our latest brew Dedicated to Beards, Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier's Beard. No Need to freak out, Brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same Old Growth Beard since 1983 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great suprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard."
Attachments
22oz_beard_forweb__36679.jpg
22oz_beard_forweb__36679.jpg (54.05 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
Bean
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I'd rather drink a Natty Ice (2013 gold at GABF!) than anything those maple-bacon-monstrosity-makers brew.
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

Bean wrote:I'd rather drink a Natty Ice (2013 gold at GABF!) than anything those maple-bacon-monstrosity-makers brew.
Not sure about the beer, but the maple bacon doughnut from Voodoo is fantastic if you have not tried it. It's the ultimate salty-sweet treat.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

talamo71 wrote:I hate Beer
Vincit Qui Patitur
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Well NBB's California Route seems to have a lot going for it for mountain fans...

Also a flood relief fundraiser.
Got some chilling outside right now before a first taste, but there wasn't much at my local liquor store, so go get some!