South Arapaho Peak accessible?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

South Arapaho Peak accessible?

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Wondering if Fourth of July TH is open. Has anybody been in the area? Would like to climb South Arapaho this Sunday if possible. Any info is appreciated.
-OwenZ
IronLionZion
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: South Arapaho Peak accessible?

Post by IronLionZion »

I was at 4th of July last Sunday, the road was clear except for one small ice patch, they probably got some snow the last few days but it should still be easily passable. The trail to S. Arapahoe looks snowy but traveled, snow shoes should not be needed.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5
streetly
Trip Reports (1)

Post by streetly »

I concur with IronLion. I climbed S.Arap on Monday. The road is good all the way to the TH, but for a couple snowy patches. No problem in 2WD. The trail is fine until the Arap Pass / Arap Glacier trails junction. At that point much of the trail gets covered in snow. Be sure to study the map so you know to veer right (east) up toward Old Baldy. That is the standard class 2 route. I mistakenly continued north northwest and ended up climbing the back side of S.Arap class 3, not recommended.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Thanks for the info guys. I will give it a shot tomorrow.
-OwenZ