Opinions on Chiefs Head this Saturday?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
krishcane
14ers: 13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (3)

Opinions on Chiefs Head this Saturday?

Post by krishcane »

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a trip up Chiefs Head via Sandbeach Lake this Saturday. I don't mind cold and snow - forecast looks good - but I don't have snowshoes. Do you think it's deep enough up there yet to need/want flotation?
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Opinions on Chiefs Head this Saturday?

Post by 12ersRule »

I would say no to snowshoes, but a big yes to gaiters. Might want some traction like microspikes for Mt Orton part though. I've only done Chiefhead in the summer, but imagine with a little snow that part could be a pain.
krishcane
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krishcane »

Cool. I'll go with gaiters and microspikes and check it out. I've only gone to Sandbeach Lake before, and Orton looks like the "crux", but nothing a little hard work won't handle. Thanks.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

12ersRule wrote:I would say no to snowshoes, but a big yes to gaiters. Might want some traction like microspikes for Mt Orton part though. I've only done Chiefhead in the summer, but imagine with a little snow that part could be a pain.
Yep, from Sandbeach Lake to Mt. Orton, gaiters and microspikes would be highly recommended. Other than that, you shouldn't have a problem. Snowshoes would likely be overkill.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
krishcane
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krishcane »

Do you guys generally pass Mt. Orton on the right (east) or the left (west)? Any certain route to pass the trees and boulders most easily, or just dead-reckoning and path-finding?
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

It's easiest to skirt Mt. Orton on the east side although you'll probably get within 50-100 ft of the "summit". There isn't really a defined trail, but the general direction you need to head is pretty straightforward.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
krishcane
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krishcane »

That was my read too from my Sandbeach scouting trip. Thanks for the confirmation. Confidence in the mountains means a lot.
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

Having gone over Orton before in snow as well as up Hunters Creek, I would recommend going up Hunters Creek from where the trail crosses on a bridge. There is a great social trail on the east side for a ways. Go all the way up the valley past a tarn to the saddle between Orton and Chiefs Head.
Last edited by tlerunner on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SandyO
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SandyO »

tlerunner wrote:Having gone over Orton before in snow as well as up Hunters Creek, I would recommend going up Hunters Creek from where the trail crosses on a bridge. There is a great social trail on the east side for a ways. Go all the way up the valley past a tarn to the sale between Orton and Chiefs Head.
FYI, that bridge was washed out in the flood.
krishcane
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krishcane »

Interesting additional considerations - thanks for the heads-up on the bridge. (postponing trip until tomorrow, which is why I'm not already on the trail)

I had heard about following Hunter's Creek up, but I didn't want to get stuck in a bushwack. What makes Mt. Orton irritating in the snow? And is the Hunter's Creek route much different in overall distance?

Also, anyone happen to know the mileage from the Sandbeach TH to Hunter's Creek, so that I can confidently follow it up without worrying that I've turned up one of the other creeks that crosses that trail earlier?
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

I found the boulders around Orton's summit to be treacherous when covered with a small amount of snow. The Hunters Creek area is much easier to navigate in my opinion.
SandyO
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SandyO »

Camper's Creek is the first crossing. I assume that bridge is still there since it's not documented otherwise. Hunter's Creek is the second. Eyeballing the map it looks about 3/4 of the way to Sandbeach. Take the right/east side of Hunter Creek. When it branches, cross the right hand branch and follow the left branch. The creek will be on your left. I followed it all the way to a small pond, but it was rather crappy around there, so I would cross the stream and head straight to the North Ridge before getting to the pond. Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to hear about any trail damage and the condition of Hunter's Creek use trail after the flood.