Panama City

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Panama City

Post by Fisching »

I am passing through Panama City next week and have some time to kill in the city. Has anyone ever been there and have an useful travel tips to pass on and recommendations on things to do?
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
flatlander51
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Panama City

Post by flatlander51 »

PC in FL or Panama?
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

It's Panama City, Panama. Who wants to visit the Florida one???

And yeah, I'm limited to a day... long layover.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
flatlander51
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by flatlander51 »

Well, actually I lived in Tallahassee for 11 years and spent a lot of time in the panhandle area, mostly scuba diving, boating, fishing and watching all the bilini-clad beauties strut up and down the sugar white sand beaches. So, I for one wouldn't mind visiting the Florida city again!
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

I was there for just a day around last Xmas..

Go see Noriega's house.. kinda cool.. it's right in the city. Take a tour if you can.. interesting history about Noriega. It was more Americanized that I anticipated.. Trump tower, KFC, etc. Downtown is cool.. there's some cool architecture that's worth seeing. It is definitely pretty run down in some spots.

It's not far to the Miraflores locks on the Panama Canal. That was cool to see. They're expanding the canal and there's a ton of construction going on down there for the third set of locks... I think that project will be wrapping up in the next couple years, but it was cool just to see the scale of the project.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

We got in/out as quickly as we could to do more fun things, but wasn't bad for a day. (Though I did do extra checks to make sure we didn't accidentally end up in Florida, ugh)..the city was big/spread out/crowded enough that I didn't bother to figure out the bus system, yet taxis were expensive, so it made more sense to pick one area and travel around by foot rather than trying to see everything.
Casco Viejo was great if you like old architecture, churches, etc. -- an older cultural and architectural heritage that we don't really have in the U.S. -- and seemed both safe (despite some warnings) and less touristy than, say, Amador Causeway, which was "ok." Panama Viejo ruins were "ok." Seeing the canal and bridge from a distance was enough for us, but of course it's a major historical and engineering marvel, so you can spend a lot more time there if you're into it.
Istmo Brewpub was good (food, beer, and scene).
Didn't check out Parque Natural Metropolitano,but if you want to avoid urban stuff or if you didn't see enough tropical flora/fauna otherwise, it would seem like a good bet to spend a good part of the day there, maybe go for a jog.

Anyway, Casco Viejo in the city and Istmo Brewpub are the only solid recommendations I can give, have fun!
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Look into the San Blas Islands. A bit if work to get there, but well worth it.