Coolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Coolest Find While Hiking

Post by Doug Shaw »

Jim Davies wrote:That reminds me of another... About 10 years ago I scrambled to the top of an exposed non-technical rock fin near Mount Muscoco. Before leaving, I decided to mark my presence and left a dime on the rock. The next time I was up there was a few years later, and I found a nickel.... hmmm, I'm pretty sure I left a dime... So I took the nickel and left two pennies. Haven't been up there since, maybe it's time to check it again....
That's nothing, that happens with my bank account all the time.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

What are you doing carrying around pennies while climbing?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

In 1994 on the summit of Isolation Peak, a cast iron CMC register that was 35 years old, in good shape,and plenty of room for more names. Not so much cool, as very historical. I thought of how much the world at large had changed and how so little had changed up there.
emohr
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (26)

Post by emohr »

When I made my first visit to Lake Como Road, my partner and I were climbing late into the night to try and reach the lake by morning. We hadn't seen anybody on the road the entire night, and the full moon casted a spooky glow on the road so we didn't have to have our headlights on. I had to take a bathroom break, and broke into the aspen trees just below the old mining cabin along the road. After walking through the grove 20-25 feet, I bumped my head into a what felt like a metal tree branch, but turned out to be a 5" knife stuck into the tree. I was originally horrified and was preparing for my Blair Witch Project finale and bolted right back for the road. I made sure to leave it there just in case it was anybody's. When coming back down the road 2 days later, I was able to relocate the knife and retrieve it. It's my go-to big boy knife, and I always find it fun to tell my friends the story of how I got my overly large knife
Attachments
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg (202.63 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

jdorje wrote:What are you doing carrying around pennies while climbing?
I guess I'm not Mr. Ultralight. Nowadays I hardly use cash at all, so I guess I'd have to leave a credit card instead.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Reminds me of Colonel "Bat" Guano
Last edited by bonehead on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I once found a set of antlers in the Grouse Canyon (by Princeton).
Attachments
20_2012040322055228.jpg
20_2012040322055228.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
ChrisRoberts
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

snowypeaks wrote:In 1994 on the summit of Isolation Peak, a cast iron CMC register that was 35 years old, in good shape,and plenty of room for more names. Not so much cool, as very historical. I thought of how much the world at large had changed and how so little had changed up there.
Havent climbed Isolation, but on nearby Tanima Peak there was a cool old register similar to what youre describing
Attachments
rsz_100_3072.jpg
rsz_100_3072.jpg (179.97 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
greenhorn1
14ers: 5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by greenhorn1 »

Black Hills.jpg
Black Hills.jpg (51.46 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
My son is wearing a Patagonia coat we found in a pile of leaves while hiking in the Black Hills about 7 years ago. It looked like it had been there a few days and there was nobody around. We took it home and he's been wearing it ever since.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I was hiking back down the Chicago Creek Trail on Evans in 1995, having turned around due to altitude sickness. I had decided to turn back at the lakes and the now legendary Steve (one peak a day then) Knapp continued to Evans. As it turned out, I started puking my brains out every 10 or 15 minutes or so. At one particularly violent purging, I looked down into my puddle of bile and saw a nice Swiss Army knife in the midst of it. A smile came across my face even as the boogers were streaming out of my nose between dry heaves! Hey, it's not so bad after all I thought as I fished it out of the ooze, wiped it off and put it in my pocket. Still carry that knife around today as a reminder that things are never that bad if we persevere.

On the summit of 8494 overlooking Wellington Lake, I found a knife with a 4" blade still in it's sheath.

Found about 50 cents worth of change on the old Berthod Pass ski slopes when I did Colorado Mines Peak!

Found a very nice compass on pt 7100 in Waterton Canyon last year. Also an old cell phone, not quite the brick, but half that size in Waterton.

An old pair of the tear drop, wire type frame Rayban Sunglasses on Mt Falcon, all the plastic parts had weathered away, but in still good condtion!

2 nice old tin soda cans along the way, one was a gatorade, another a Shasta Pineapple Cola! Pineapple Cola, who the hell drinks that? And one old Coors aluminum can, so old it didn't have a pulltop and had to be opened using a can opener!

Dozens of deer and elk antlers, some still attached to the skull.

I'd say the majority of this is junk, but still very interesting finds of old junk!
Ragin Cajun
talamo71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by talamo71 »

I was hiking Antero on a beautiful sunny day when I stopped on a ridge before the final scramble to the top. As I sat down and ate,
I put my hand on some rocks behind me. There was a nice quartz crystal right there. I then poked around and ended up digging a
pocket of crystals out from under a ledge.
DenneyR
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

The coolest thing I've found while hiking I find each time..................serenity