The Hourglass as an ice climb?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

The Hourglass as an ice climb?

Post by scramble »

Does it ever get nice to climb in the fall or early winter? WI-what (on average)? Don't worry, almost certainly not going to run out and do it anytime soon.... right now I'm only curious to learn more : ) Any info would be greatly appreciated. My internet searching skills are failing me.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: The Hourglass as an ice climb?

Post by Dave B »

derp...

deleted
Last edited by Dave B on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Thoughts on Little Bear's Hourglass:

My guess is that the best ice conditions you'd find would still involve a lot of bad ice and mixed climbing on loose rock. I hear more about thin ice with rotten sections...really never about good ice in the Hourglass. And I don't think there's a good way to protect the climb on the way up other than trusting an old rope that's probably frozen into said ice. I'd say if you're going to put the research and planning into trying to find good conditions for the Hourglass, your first preference should be as a snow climb in the spring and your second preference should be as dry rock in the late summer or early fall.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Aw, okay, thanks. I guess that's why I haven't heard about people doing it as an ice climb.... Was just curious.....

I did it as a snow climb last spring, super fun yeah!
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Its tough to find routes like the Hourglass that come in as ice climbs in Colorado, though if it did it would probably go at AI2 with some mixed I would guess, pro would be tough.

If you are looking for alpine ice look no further than the Park, considering you live in Boulder.

Occasionally in the fall or spring some of CO's highest peaks will have an ice route. Check out Furthermore's TR from North Apostle this past June...we went up "Freezer Burn" which had about 100ft of AI2 at the exit.

Personally, Lincoln Falls is my favorite recommendation, Scottish Gully is a 3 pitch WI3- above treeline and you can continue to the summit to make a day out of it.