Road to Kite Lake & Decali Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tanguy
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Road to Kite Lake & Decali Conditions

Post by tanguy »

I'm planning a Decali attempt next weekend and would appreciate any updates on the road to Kite Lake from Alma & the conditions on the mountains.

Many thanks in advance.
rockchalker
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Road to Kite Lake & Decali Conditions

Post by rockchalker »

Bump - Intested as well.
codogg81
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by codogg81 »

This is kind of old info but i was up the 3rd week of Sept. and the road was totally closed about 1.5 milles from the lake so it put at least 3mi. extra on my RT. The creek washed out the road completely with no way around. Also there was 3 to 4 inches of snow on the mountains on this morning. It was a great hike though with the snow.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

I was up Saturday with the GF. Road was just fine all the way to the normal TH, despite the recent snow. Light snow on the peaks, we ended up just taking our microspikes off on the Dem/Cam saddle. The temperature and the winds for us were brutal, however.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Somewhat of a Prick on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tanguy
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tanguy »

Thanks for the update, codogg81.

The washout has been fixed according to this 9/30 note by TakleMeToTheSummit in the Update Trailhead Status page:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... hparm=mr01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2013-09-30
We took my 4Runner up there yesterday. My friend felt his Subaru would have made it fine. That said - I wouldn‘t have liked taking my Buick up it. The repair to the "wash-out" was done nicely & snow was not an issue on the drive or hike. Windy conditions - still managed to have a great day and tag all 5 points of interest.