Longs Peak Trips

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rbailey23
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Longs Peak Trips

Post by rbailey23 »

Has anyone successfully climbed the Keyhole route since it opened again? If so, what kind of conditions were present? The latest conditions report says "crampons and axes are a must," for the other route. ROMO's website shows some significant snow as well.

Just trying to see if we can (safely) get in a final trek before the end of the season!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Longs Peak Trips

Post by peter303 »

I suspect you can park on the road and "sneak in". The parking lot and campground will probably be closed.

Heavy snow expected Thursday through Saturday.
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

The Longs Peak Trailhead parking area isn't technically in the park, is it? So could it remain open? The ranger hut would be closed of course but I wonder...
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The Rocky Mountain National Park website has been turned off for the duration of shutdown. All links go to this:
http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html

Rather dangerous, since people depend on their conditions info.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

peter303 wrote:The Rocky Mountain National Park website has been turned off for the duration of shutdown. All links go to this:
http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html

Rather dangerous, since people depend on their conditions info.
Don't let the bastards get you down. If you know the link, use http://archive.org/web/web.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to access archived snapshots of the site(s).
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
rbailey23
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rbailey23 »

Yeah...I posted on the 30th in hopes that our gov't would get their s*** together before the deadline. I probably should have known better.

Guess we'll have to wait until next year. [-(
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

First the flooding, now the shutdown...

It's a sign. I'm not supposed to finish yet. 8-[
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

peter303 wrote:Rather dangerous, since people depend on their conditions info.
But why bother with conditions updates when people aren't supposed to be in the park anyways? It seems better to direct folks to the place where they can learn about the shutdown situation, as opposed to encouraging them to break the law. Anyone who chooses to walk through that "closed" sign, must take complete and full responsibility for that choice, and they certainly can't expect any assistance (from preparation to possible rescue) from RMNP.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11