Rockslide Mt Princeton

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Rockslide Mt Princeton

Post by highpilgrim »

More news.

http://www.today.com/news/rescuer-real- ... 8C11307202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

I keep seeing mention that the sheriff and others are asking the US Forest Service to close the trail permanently. I really hope that doesn't happen. It could fall again, and it could be tomorrow, or it could be 500 years from now. Unless an engineering/geological review deems the face to be dangerously unstable, I hope a freak incident doesn't affect long term accessibility.
marciamallow
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marciamallow »

Such horrible news. My thoughts and prayers go out to their friends and families.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Derby Ale wrote:I keep seeing mention that the sheriff and others are asking the US Forest Service to close the trail permanently. I really hope that doesn't happen. It could fall again, and it could be tomorrow, or it could be 500 years from now. Unless an engineering/geological review deems the face to be dangerously unstable, I hope a freak incident doesn't affect long term accessibility.
Honestly, it's not much of a trail and so closing it would be the least of my concerns. I also found the rock near the falls to be terribly loose. Last year I had camped with a couple of friends near St. Elmo. On the way out we decided to do a quick hike up to the falls. Upon reaching the falls we observed several teenage boys that had scrambled up an area to the left of the falls and as they were trying to come back down there was numerous large loose rock tumbling down. Just seems to be an area that is quite dangerous as this sad event illustrated. Thoughts and prayers for the family and friends and for the sole survivor.
Last edited by randalmartin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Of all the mountain accidents I have read about over the years, this is the most horrific. To those in that family and community, I cannot imagine your deepness of grief. I literally shed tears reading this. Stay strong!
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Eddyline Brewing posted this on their Facebook where people can donate to the Johnson Family Fund.

http://johnsonfamilyfund.com/index.html
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
--bb--
13ers: 42 9 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by --bb-- »

rickinco123 wrote:Of all the mountain accidents I have read about over the years, this is the most horrific. To those in that family and community, I cannot imagine your deepness of grief. I literally shed tears reading this. Stay strong!
Completely agree, rickinco123.

Such a beautiful area for such a tragic event. After hearing the sound of rock slides at Snowmass Lake earlier this summer, I can imagine the sounds of boulders crashing down like an avalanche, feeling completely hopeless and having no where to turn. What a hero the father was! Using his body to shield his daughter was absolutely the only thing he could possibly do and he did. It is a miracle that Gracie survived. My heart goes out to the family and the community.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

dehrlich101 wrote:Eddyline Brewing posted this on their Facebook where people can donate to the Johnson Family Fund.

Thanks for posting this link. The medical expenses are undoubtedly enormous, on top of the funeral expenses, and Gracie needs all the support we can provide.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Mtnman200 wrote:
dehrlich101 wrote:Eddyline Brewing posted this on their Facebook where people can donate to the Johnson Family Fund.

Thanks for posting this link. The medical expenses are undoubtedly enormous, on top of the funeral expenses, and Gracie needs all the support we can provide.

+1

Thanks for the link. Although I am unable to donate financially right now, I posted the link on FB where I asked for everyone to forward the link as well. Hopefully this helps, even if a little.

So sad, can't even imagine...
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

Monday morning I did a trail run up to Agnes Vaille Falls near where I'd been camped at USFS Mt. Princeton since Thurs. ( closed for the season at noon Mon.), leaving the parking lot at 8:45 and reaching the falls 8 minutes later. After spending about 10 minutes at a balcony viewpoint on the left, I headed down just past 9, then ran a short old road east of parking, went back to break camp, then headed out via CR 270 by 10:15 or so. Apparently just before 11 a.m. a rockslide swept the fall's base, killing 5 people- 3 members of the local Johnson family and 2 of their cousins. It was a lovely, quiet morning after a windy night- You would never imagine that tragedy was so close at hand. I found out next morning about the disaster, and in a state of helpless shock prayed for the victims and one survivor, Gracie Johnson, and thanked God for my life. Less than 2 hours !!

It is so difficult to predict rockfall hazards in the Rockies. My heart aches for everyone touched by this...
arianna2
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

This just sickens, saddens, and scares me. God never promises tomorrow. My prayers for all those affected.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »