Mt. Bierstadt Conditions for Sunday

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt Conditions for Sunday

Post by HikerGuy »

goldenite wrote:E_A_Marcus_949, how were the creek crossing and the willows? I'm planning on doing Bierstadt/Evans on Sunday 09/29 and don't want to spend most of the trip with wet feet!
You can avoid the willows and keep your feet dry:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... ows#p93669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

HikerGuy wrote:
goldenite wrote:E_A_Marcus_949, how were the creek crossing and the willows? I'm planning on doing Bierstadt/Evans on Sunday 09/29 and don't want to spend most of the trip with wet feet!
You can avoid the willows and keep your feet dry:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8637&p=93669&hilit=willows#p93669
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here in Evergreen we still have a small stream running through our yard from the rains the past 2 weeks, normally our yard is almost bone dry. Betting that even the 2 routes above (I have taken these alternates in the past and kept my feet mostly dry) will be wetter, perhaps much wetter, than usual. If you take the Sawtooth and finish by descending Spalding then it's only a mile or so on the end of the hike that you need to deal with mud and willows, that's not so bad. Just have a nice dry pair of socks and shoes in the car!
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
thenotoriousrob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thenotoriousrob »

Doing Evans tomorrow morning to gauge the amount of snow for another 14er Sat.
Never done a late September hike. I'm thinking I pretty much need to pack everything in the back of my car, including ski gear, just in case, and then assess at the TH... Hard to tell what the temps will be at the TH or even the summit though. Anyone done a hike this week yet who can give some insight? Thanks!
goldenite
14ers: 52  1 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (1)

Post by goldenite »

A friend and I did Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans on Sat (09/28/13) and went ahead through the willows/creek crossing up to Bierstadt. The willows were iced over in the morning (around 7am), so I had dry feet until I came down from Evans taking HikerGuy's (via Jim Davies) suggestion of "going past Spalding and returning across a line of low hills most of the way across the basin" (and avoiding the gully). We came down the hills and found the trail they're talking about, but the problem was that the trail eventually opened up into a flooded basin in the willows. Not only did we have soaking feet, but we lost the trail because it was underwater. Has anyone else experienced this, or did we catch the wrong trail?

Here's the link to the alternate descent:
http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... ows#p93669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The trail doesn't take you all the way back to the pass; you have to backtrack left and around the end of a low area, then across some hills and through another low area before reaching the Bierstadt trail just beyond the lake. It's easier to find if you followed it on the way in. The second "low area" could very well be a pond now, given the deluge of two weeks ago. Somebody said here once that there was a way to avoid it by going further back toward the Sawtooth, but I'm not familiar with that. If you go straight from the end of the trail toward your car, you'll be getting into some boggy areas, so maybe that's what happened. Or maybe there's just a lot of water right now.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump