San Luis Moose

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: San Luis Moose

Post by Stevo »

Great pic! I have regularly seen moose on the Eillow Creek side of San Luis including a monster bull about three weeks ago. Definitely give these guys their space this time of year!
Jim_H
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jim_H »

GeezerClimber wrote:We climbed San Luis Tuesday which was a fabulous day BTW. Moose are numerous in Stewart creek and we ran into a very large bull on the way up at close range. He had a cow and a young one in his group. On the way down, we ran into another group. Another climber had stopped and informed us the bull had chased, antlers down, for a short distance. He had attempted to pass by and got too close. Keep your eyes and ears open. IMO, I'd rather run into a bear than a moose on the trail.
Guess I got lucky only seeing that 1 smaller moose on the way up. I didn't see anything going down. I was the last guy up that day, and asked if your black dog was an Aussie. I thought that my moose sighting was of a female, but examining the image shows it is a male.

Conditions were fantastic that day. Views were great.
My moose image
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Jim_H wrote:
GeezerClimber wrote:We climbed San Luis Tuesday which was a fabulous day BTW. Moose are numerous in Stewart creek and we ran into a very large bull on the way up at close range. He had a cow and a young one in his group. On the way down, we ran into another group. Another climber had stopped and informed us the bull had chased, antlers down, for a short distance. He had attempted to pass by and got too close. Keep your eyes and ears open. IMO, I'd rather run into a bear than a moose on the trail.
Guess I got lucky only seeing that 1 smaller moose on the way up. I didn't see anything going down. I was the last guy up that day, and asked if your black dog was an Aussie. I thought that my moose sighting was of a female, but examining the image shows it is a male.

Conditions were fantastic that day. Views were great.
My moose image
I remember you were summitting just as we were starting down. The Aussie was my partner's dog, the yellow lab mine. The big bull I posted was at about timberline. Your bull looks like it might have been the one that chased the other guy. Was it 30-45 minutes from the TH?

Message for those concerned about dogs in the wilderness and like to lecture.....................

1. Dogs were under voice control and stay close to us per regulations
2. Dogs don't chase wildlife
3. After the 1st encounter, we kept them on leashes going through the willows to minimize the risk of startling any more.

Dave
Randy
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randy »

Just my 2 cents. I hike with my Aussie and he listens very well to my commands. That being said, I use a 26 ft retractable leash, clipped onto my waistbelt of my pack. This set-up gives him plenty of freedom, but at anytime, I can reel him in, ie.. dogs approaching, hikers approaching ( not everybody wants your dog to greet them first), or wildlife encounters. Dogs can react to wildlife in a dangerous way, why take the chance?
Jim_H
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jim_H »

I recall the moose in my image was about 35 minutes from the TH. He was standing eating grass, and I only noticed him when he made a sound in the grass. Otherwise I would have walked right by and never noticed, so who is to say I didn't go right past some other moose?