Lindsey Snow and Road Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Lindsey Snow and Road Conditions?

Post by desertdog »

Did anyone climb Lindsey this weekend? I was wondering what this last storm brought to the mountain and what condition the road is in. I was thinking of climbing some 13ers in the area this coming week. Thanks! Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Lindsey Snow and Road Conditions?

Post by Tornadoman »

I was there on 9/21 so the snow conditions have no doubt changed (there was effectively none at that time). I can answer your road question. We made it easily in my friend's Outback. The road does get pretty rough by the ranches which is about 6 miles from the trailhead. A mix of rocky sections, and some big puddles (they weren't deep though, so not an issue). I think a careful driver of a 2WD passenger car *could* make it to within a mile of the trailhead (the intersection with Zapata trail I think). After that the road becomes rougher and steeper and I would definitely not risk it in a car. Good luck, it is a beautiful area!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
CarpeDM
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

I climbed Pt 13,555 and Huerfano yesterday. Just little bits of snow getting up to Huerfano. I had microspikes and gaiters but never put them on. Came down the standard Lindsey trail; definitely a little more snow there, but still didn't put on any extra gear. Also, it got muddy in places down below.

In the past I've gotten my Honda Fit to within a quarter mile of the TH that gives access to the north side of Huerfano (I always forget if that's called the Upper or Lower trailhead). This time, I didn't want to chance one puddle, so it added 4 miles to my RT distance.

Sorry, no photos.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

CarpeDM wrote:I climbed Pt 13,555 and Huerfano yesterday. Just little bits of snow getting up to Huerfano. I had microspikes and gaiters but never put them on. Came down the standard Lindsey trail; definitely a little more snow there, but still didn't put on any extra gear. Also, it got muddy in places down below.

In the past I've gotten my Honda Fit to within a quarter mile of the TH that gives access to the north side of Huerfano (I always forget if that's called the Upper or Lower trailhead). This time, I didn't want to chance one puddle, so it added 4 miles to my RT distance.

Sorry, no photos.
Thanks so much! Huerfano pls California were what I was looking at. Looks like you did PT 13555 first then Huerfano off trail, then came down the Lindsey trail? I think Im going to go from the Lindsey TH
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
lukeneedsnewsocks
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukeneedsnewsocks »

CarpeDM wrote:I climbed Pt 13,555 and Huerfano yesterday. Just little bits of snow getting up to Huerfano. I had microspikes and gaiters but never put them on. Came down the standard Lindsey trail; definitely a little more snow there, but still didn't put on any extra gear. Also, it got muddy in places down below.

Sorry, no photos.
Did you happen to be able to look up the Lindsey trail at all to see how it looked further up? I'm hoping to do Lindsey tomorrow, and from what you said, it sounds like it ought to be in pretty good shape.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

We went up Lindsey Saturday night, wearing running shoes and microspikes. It was 7h RT at a moderate pace. I didn't feel that an ice axe would have been of much help given the powderyness of the snow. The people who went up earlier beat down a very nice trail. In another week or two, the slopes might turn very icy and dangerous though.

We parked our Civic 4 miles from the TH and bummed a ride on a tougher vehicle. We probably could have driven all of the way if we weren't so chicken. #-o
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Drove up to upper TH in a couple inches of snow on Fri night, it melted by the time I left today. Had fun in the mud puddles! Got it over my roof at least 4 times 8)

Went up Lindsey today and the ax was only useful in a few places. Trail is now ice packed lower down. Ridge is dry.
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

bergsteigen wrote:Drove up to upper TH in a couple inches of snow on Fri night, it melted by the time I left today. Had fun in the mud puddles! Got it over my roof at least 4 times 8)

Went up Lindsey today and the ax was only useful in a few places. Trail is now ice packed lower down. Ridge is dry.
Thanks!
bbutzin
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bbutzin »

Are you planning a climb there this weekend?
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

bbutzin wrote:Are you planning a climb there this weekend?
Might be up there Monday or Tuesday. Not this weekend. Any interest?
bbutzin
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bbutzin »

desertdog wrote:
bbutzin wrote:Are you planning a climb there this weekend?
Might be up there Monday or Tuesday. Not this weekend. Any interest?
I unfortunately can't do weekdays. Might give 'er a shot tomorrow (Sunday), though. If I do, I'll let you know what I find conditions-wise, since it's been a while since we've gotten much of an update down there.