Conditions on Little Bear /Blanca

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Conditions on Little Bear /Blanca

Post by SpringsHiker »

Does anyone have knowledge of conditions on Little Bear/Blanca? I know there was a storm last weekend and temps have dropped so wondering if snow/ice remains. Also expecting snow possibly tonight and into tomorrow. Any info appreciated.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Conditions on Little Bear /Blanca

Post by Tornadoman »

http://www.airportview.net/wx/usa/co/ka ... s=1280x960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that you are looking for first hand knowledge, but this at least gives you something. View from Alamosa...
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

Thanks! That's the only picture I have seen from recent days so it is appreciated.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

when are you thinking of going, Scott?
Wundermarmot
14ers: 5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wundermarmot »

I live a few miles west of the Blanca massif and have a good view of the route up Como rd. It snowed this afternoon and looks to be covered down to about 9K approx. Don't know how deep but it was socked in all afternoon then cleared just before sundown to give us a pretty good view. It looked to still be snowing on the peaks. Temp in the valley tonight is forecast to be mid 20's. Hope this is helpful.
aaronmojica
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 14 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

Thanks Wundermarmot. I'm also looking at going up there Sunday through Monday. Watching the conditions closely.
laxcountrypiper
14ers: 58  1  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by laxcountrypiper »

I'm considering going up later in the week (Tuesday at the earliest) depending on conditions and work commitments. Please let me know what you find if you end up going.
Wundermarmot
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wundermarmot »

Update: It warmed up considerably today and most of the snow on Blanca has melted. Some is still visible but does not appear to be a problem.